Translate

Monday 29 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 19

Today's plan is to head down to San Diego.  As I'm not a fan of LA traffic, I'm going to get a early head start.




That headlight is bright, but that way, I know they see me, and that's what I care about. I'm on the road at 7 am.  I head down to the Santa Monica Peir, to start my southbound ride on the Pacific Coast Highway.





It's nice and quite at the pier. Except the homeless.  I guess it's the weather, but LA does have a serious homeless problem and a lot of those poor people either have mental problems or substance abuse problems. It's the one thing about LA, I didn't like.

Anyway, no problems getting out of LA, but don't kid yourself,  it's still busy on the road. So now I'm almost outa LA and the Tross needs a coffee. Since having a ocean front address isn't cheap,  a Starbucks was easy to find. So time for a coffee and breakfast sandwich.  Now that I'm in California,  the Ontario plates and the Route 66 license plate frame are a draw for people. This time I met a guy who used to work in Oakville.  Nice guy, wish I could live on the California coast. Back on the road. I stopped down the road for some pics.



Time to fill up and put some air in the front tire. This bike let's you know when the air is low. The new front tire has to seat in and always looses a few psi. So no big deal.


  With that out of the way, I'm back on the PCH. The problem is that your driving from small town to small town, with all the traffic lights. Not really fun. Most shows will tell you to more or less the drive. Unfortunately it's more or less true. The real drive is north of LA, which I get to do tomorrow.

Selfie on the beach. Fun to watch the dolphins swimming just off the beach, fishing the dolphin way.


 Life is rough here in southern California.

From here, highway number 1 runs out and I'm forced onto the interstate I-5. You get to drive through Camp Pendleton (the main west coast Marine Base). It's a big camp.  This is where traffic all went wrong. I'm paying now for stopping in at Starbucks for breakfast.  The problem is that this is also the main way to Mexico as well and it's Saturday morning.  I get through it, though it's an hour later than I planned.

 Parking is only good for 2 hours, I'll be back. My choices in San Diego are, the Zoo, Seaworld , or the USS Midway.  I choose the Midway.

 The USS Midway on the left. The USS Ronald Reagan on the right.

 The fantail.
 It's one big aircraft carrier.
 Kind of tall as well.










 They pack them in, the newest recruits get the top. Still bigger than the subs I've been on.
First stop for some recruits. The anchor chain room.

 Junior officers quarters.

 Squadron ready room done in the squad's colours.
 Squadrons CO.

 The hatches go on forever.
 Book sale.
 Engine room control.  Scottie's up front.

 1 of 4 props. 2 engine rooms.
 It's for the radio's.









 The USS Ronald Reagan getting painted.


Interesting climbing out on the horns.
Admirals war room . Naval Desert storm was launched from here.
Admirals bedroom.
Admirals lounge.
Admiral's personal cook.

Radio rooms with message tubes.



Captain's bed.

Captains desk.
He gets his own cook as well

Hanger lift.


If it sinks, this is what you get.

Main Galley.

Officers wardroom.

The dirty wardroom.






A great visit, but tiring, as your up and down ladders all day. There's also a huge naval base down the road. From what you can see from the road, there are dozens of ships here. You get a glimpse of America's naval power. From here I'm down to my motel and off to bed.

Total mileage 4061 miles/ 6536 km


=====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment