Translate

Wednesday 24 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 15

No hurry to get up early today, as I've got to drive into the west side of LA, to get some matainance done on the bike. A new front tire, oil, filter, tranny oil change and final drive oil change. I've just plain wore out the tire.

But I haven't finished route 66 you say. If I actually tried to finish route 66 today there'd be no time for matainance and I'd have to find a hotel in LA. The dealer is only a 1 1/2 hour ride from the motel that I'm staying at, for the next couple of days. Plus route 66 comes into east LA, totally the other side. The bonus was that the dealer gave me the low down on which areas not to stay in.

To be honest, it's taken me all day just to get everything done. I'm not complaining, as just showing up at a dealer and getting a appointment isn't easy. Time for some Alby sweet talk. Actually there's kind of a unwritten rule about helping out traveler's, and getting them on their way.

Hopefully this bowl of cherrios will give me the energy for the LA commute.

I guess the best word to describe LA's morning commute was intense.  Since I came in just a little after rush hour the traffic was ok. The shop was able to squeeze me in at 3 pm. Since they didn't have my tire in stock they sent me down to CT's tires. All CT does are motorcycle tires and brakes.  A great guy and had me in-n-out in less than 1/2 hour. He even had the exact tire I wanted in stock. A Michelin road pilot 4.



 I head over to the mall, it's funny how all malls everywhere are all the same. So girls, would you wear a Dr. Who tardis dress? Which reminds me, Dave,  do you still have your Tom Baker Dr. Who scarf from when we were young teenagers?

 Anyone looking for a Cushman. They used to sell the first edition here. NSU's etc. Hey Rene,  they've still got some Primera parts in stock. She told me they only sold 3 of them.



 This is "Buddy" the shop dog and guard dog.  Happy dog.



Now that it's "fall", it gets dark around 6:30-7 pm. Now that everything is done, I've got to get back to Victorville.  Now that everyone isn't hopped up on their espressos,  it wasn't as intensive of a drive, unlike in  the morning. Except for the lady who came into my lane, well at least BMW bikes come with good horns. The nice part of the night drive was the temperature.  From 80°'s to the high 70°'s made for a real pleasant night drive.

Back to the motel and a good night sleep. That, and to book my LA hotel. Cheap hotels and LA don't go together.  The cheap ones you don't want to stay at. The expensive ones are too snobby for me. Priceline really came through for me. The Sheraton by Universal Studios for $144 a night. For LA I'm happy with that.


Good night.


Total mileage 3718 miles / 5984 km

No comments:

Post a Comment