Translate

Saturday 20 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 11

When I went through yesterdays blog, I realized that I forgotten the "Crossroads Motel" in the tour pictures, so here they are.



Again, the Crossroads motel was not in a great area. For $52 a night you can rent the Pinkman room. For $3, you get a tour of the Pinkman bedroom. Wendy subitutes in the area ;-)

As much as I'd like to spend another day in Albuquerque,  I must be moving off. I went to bed early as I've had more than my fair share of check in motel, sleep, and back on the road. Honestly it was nice sleeping fo 10 hours. The plan was to head back to Gus' s,  ( Los Pollos Hermanos )
for another of those great breakfast burritos. I thought it was on Route 66 on the way out of town, but somehow I missed it,  :-(.  Anyway, I'm not back tracking,  so off on Route 66 out of town.

The sun rises, good by Albuquerque.



It's nice of New Mexico to save bridges like this. Also, they make good little stops away from traffic. I like route 66 on the east side of town, but as I'm getting used to, you get forced back on I-40 once the city ends.


Not even a breakfast special,  so I passed. back on the interstate.






I had to stop here to put on my windbreaker,  and have a Gatorade. One of the problems with riding in the desert is, that at night it gets real cold, and during the day it gets real warm.

There are still some parts of the original route 66 still left. I'm glad I got off the interstate and rode them. One thing about New Mexico and route 66,  you get to see the lava fields. It's something new to me, so here's a pic of the lava fields.




Which way to go? I choose route 66. Since I'm in the desert, so I go by the half tank rule. This means as soon as the tank is half empty, I try and find a gas station to fill up. When I went to pay for the gas, I ask the girl "Is there anywhere good to eat breakfast at". She tells me, if I go to the old Burger King, the First Avenue cafe does a good breakfast, and good it was.


Now while I'm on the road, I tend to collect things, souvenirs, etc. These things have been building up. The US Postal Service has flat rate shipping boxes, and free boxes as well. So I pack everything into one of these, and ship it to my mailbox in Niagara Falls,  NY. It will get there way before I will.

The only problem in Albuquerque was, the lineups were too long at the post office. No problem, as I'm on route 66 and I'll just hit up one of those really small post offices during the day. Which is what I did and no line ups.



Here is another beautiful desert pic, notice how there is absolutely nothing in the desert.


This happens a lot.



Another milestone for this route 66 trip is coming up to the Continental Divide.


And to answer your question,  yes, I've done the pee test. Just not this trip, but back in my younger days.

Let us not forget our Continental Divide souvenirs. No, I did not go in. I do not need to buy Continental Divide rocks for 99 cents.

From here I'm on to Gallup, New Mexico and the famous "El Rancho". This is the famous hotel where all the actresses and actors stayed while filming westerns.












A stunning hotel with a great history. if you're ever in Gallup New Mexico it really is one of those places you must visit.

One thing to disappoint me in Gallop was, there were no route 666 t-shirts to be had.  Unlike Pennsylvania where they embraced their route 666. New Mexico can't get far away enough from theirs, enough so that they changed the actual number of the route to 140 something. It's a shame cuz tourists like me, would actually spend money to get a t-shirt it says route 666.

Looks good, eh!

 One really interesting things that I did see, was a roadrunner. Yes, they are actually real, and live in the desert. But this little guy was too fast to get a picture of. It's the first one that I've ever seen, that's because I wasn't on the interstate, and was on route 66.
Now on to the border of Arizona and all those famous Indian tourist traps. I was disappointed as the "Welcome to Arizona" sign is only on the interstate and not on route 66, so I couldn't get a picture. They also don't believe in daylight savings time here, so I gained another hour.





Remember folks, I'm in the desert and there really is not alot to see out here. My next big attraction is the Petrified Forest National Park.

Petrified National Park


It's about a 25 mile self-directed tour, in the desert, in 90 degree weather.






 A great place for a beer.

 Those poles are all that is left of the original route  66.



















 Glad the bike didn't break down out here.
 It really does look like wood.


Until you get up close. Well I'm done with the park and with it costing only $5 to get in was well worth it.


Well, my hotel is in the next little town called the Winslow, Arizona.

Total mileage 2784 miles/  4480 km


=====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment