Translate

Friday 12 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 4



It's early,  like 3:30 am early.  I did have a good sleep last night. Today's plan is to get into Chicago early, for breakfast at Lou Mitchell's . It's not much colder right now than it was during the day yesterday.  So the usual 3 S' s, shower,  shave, and you can guess the last one ;-). Pack up the bike and off I go.

Lights work!


By the time I get going, it's 5 am.  There's still a bit of drizzle, the same that bothered me all day yesterday.  It comes and goes in patches.

All said and done, I'm glad that I left this early.  I'd say Chicago has got at least an hour head start on rush hour in Toronto. Things were starting to back up, and it's only 5:30 in the morning.

Well it's 6 am, and I've made it to Lou Mitchell's for breakfast.


Now it's time for breakfast. Good coffee, and since it's my first cup of the day,  I'm glad. Not totally unexpected,  but Lou's doesn't have Wi-Fi, go figure.




Breakfast arrives and I'm not disappointed. Hey, your not in business for 90 years serving a bad breakfast.


I've never had Greek toast before,  to be honest,  I've never heard of it before,  but it was good. It's slowly getting light outside, plus, they start to tow at 7 am.

 Got my milk duds:-))

It's still the Sears Tower to me!



 So off over I go, to the start of Route 66.  The funny part is that as soon as I take off my helmet, it starts to drizzle.  Well I'm here to take a pic and change the helmet to full face again.




Now to get my kicks on Route 66. Or leaving Chicago.  I've been here before and done the tourist bit. Nice city, but I want to get out. The guides and  tv shows are right, you might as well take I-55 to the outside of town. As far as driving through the ghetto, nothing scarry, like Detroit in the 80's and 80's.  To be honest I can't believe that it's gotten any better in Detroit.





Once out into the suburbs there are one or two cool places, but otherwise you might as well take the interstate to Joliet.  This is a town that has embraced route 66 and it shows.




 Finally some blue sky!

This is going to be one long trip!








While waiting for the museum to open, I got a large coffee for a $1. By the taste of it, I overpaid and while waiting I set the clock on the bmw to mid west time. That and updated the blog.  It looks like I'm finally out of the rain. We shall see.

Well,  I've been taken, there's a little bit of a route 66 museum in front, and then the local museum, which is $8 in the back. Which I passed on, I've gotta feeling this won't be the first time I get hussled.












Anyway, I've only wasted an hour. My next stop is for gas and to dig out my rain gear. That goes on/off all day. As I pull into the gas station, one of the Giants is across the road.



It's one of the thing's that I've been looking forward to, and he didn't disappoint.  Unfortunately the launching pad was for sale. Hopefully someone will buy it. I really haven't see to many people doing route 66 so far, a couple to be sure. The rental motor home gave them away.

The drizzle is back, with a light rain once in a while.  Not the best day to ride, but I have to expect days like these. The worst part is you get a bit of blue sky, take off the rain gear, then a 1/2 hour later your into the drizzle again.

Anyway up comes another stop, which is good as I need a break and a drink.

A nice little vintage gas station/tourist trap.

I used to use one of these.

One of the few Chrysler ' s my uncle didn't own.













I worked at my uncles gas station when I was 16. So it was nice to see some of these things again. On a few tv shows they kind of warn you that the lady running the gas station can talk, and talk she did. But I give her credit, she's helpful and knows her history.  A good place to visit.  Next stop is the old log cabin.

Which way to go? 


I don't know what happened to this pic, but I like it.


No appeal to go into the old log cabin,  it's just a store. This road leads in Pontiac,  Il.  Home of the Illinois route 66 museum and it shows.






Pontiac was busy with tourists.  There was at least one tourist bus that I could see. I guess there are route 66 tours by bus. Though I can't remember seeing all these people on the ride down ;-) . I also end up having a light lunch and Latte.  What suprises me is that in most towns you can get a half decent Latte.  How times have changed.

What I'm finding out is that the smaller towns have good and fun things to see, and the bigger ones are dull or non existant.



You can totally see a family working during the day and living upstairs at night. The only interesting thing in this town so down the road I go.

Next stop is the Dixie truck stop.  It has the honor of being one, if not the first truck stop. I stop for a coffee and they have my LED turn signal lights for my trailer.  I put those in an have a coffee. Then back on the road.







Atlanta,  a small,  and I do mean small town. But what a great town. I stopped and had a look around. A great souvenir shop, and worth the stop.


 I can't even remember where this was.
How far I've been, how far I have to go :-(



I remember these, do you?

Now I'm off to Springfield,  which is the state capital, and my bed for the night. My motel is on the south side. There's a couple of things to see and here are the pics.

It's closed, but it's $3 to get in. I don't know, is his junk worth it?


I have to admit,  this view driving down the road was impressive.  Well done.



Gotta love the name of this bar. I can't understand why it didn't make it ;-)

Well I was on the road for 12 or 14 hours, I didn't really keep track. Even with the shitty weather I still had great day.

I totally forgot to write down the mileage yesterday.  So here's today's.

Total mileage:   1050 miles/1689 km



No comments:

Post a Comment