Translate

Sunday 21 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures, Day 12

I am tired, I ache all over, and I'm burnt like a lobster, but only on my face and arms. But I've never felt more relaxed and at peace with myself in years. What a great couple of days it has been.


From last night's motel room. All hotel/motel rooms should come with reclining chairs. It rocked watching TV last night.

The day doesn't start too early, metor crater which is a few miles down the road, doesn't open up to 8 am. If you haven't guessed it yet, this small town has a coffee house. I get there just as they open, and get a nice 3 shot Latte.




More cafés should have house dogs. After a nice Latte and talking to a retired locomotive operator, I'm back on the road to "Metor Crater".  It's one of those places that I've passed a few times but have never stopped in. Even from 5 miles this is impressive.

Ok, it looks more impressive when your standing there.














Was it worth go to see, ya, it's a impressive hole in the ground. Is it worth the $18 it costs to get in? Ya, once.

Anyway, back on the road, or out here, the interstate.  I went through Flagstaff,  AZ, but really not much worth stopping for. Kinda like most big towns I've been through.  I also went through a few really small towns that had nothing to offer. Finally I come up to Williams,  AZ. Williams offers a train service to the eastern Grand Canyon.  It is a pure tourist town with western roots.


No, I didn't take the zip line, but loved the free parking.


You've guessed it, a western bordello.  Saloon downstairs.







How can you resist not doing a selfie?

 What is a Sultana bar? Karm?


 The rear entrance to the bordello.
 The gate is open.
So what animals do you see in these clouds.

After a good lunch and looking through all those shops. Back on the interstate and time to come down off the mountain.

 Scenery like this makes it all worth it.

 This was in the Window of the gas station.  When I got there,  not much was happening. No blonde's anyway.

 I finally found my welcome to Arizona sign.


With a full tank, I'm back on the the interstate for one last time. There's still a couple of little bits of interstate to ride, but nothing like I've been doing. Now to get off at Seligman, AZ. With it being Saturday,  the bikes are out, that as well as being under 500 miles from the Pacific Ocean.







 It must be true, the birthplace of Route 66.

 I wanted to get a number 2, no barber.

The coins are taped on the counter for the French tourists,  or so I'm told.

Lots to do, see, buy, eat, and drink in Seligman, AZ.  I picked up a patch and a few other bits. But again,  it's time to hit the road.

 360° pic.
 What can I say but, wow!



 The famous "Hackberry General Store", honestly, nothing I haven't seen 100 times before on this trip.




Nice corvette.  But I don't stick around long. On to Kingman, AZ, and my bed for the night.

 A aircraft boneyard,  who knew. No tours,  :-(( , but 100's of aircraft.


Look what I found. Dinner time. Personally I like them more than "Burger Priest". They may not be the best burger out there, but they are the best $2 burger by far, and beat many $5 and $10 burgers that I know of. So time to have another relaxing night and plan for tomorrow.

Total mileage: 3038 miles/ 4889 km

=====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment