Translate

Friday 26 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 16

The last day on route 66. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm not. I'll enjoy the ride through the pass and finishing, just not the city driving. Even though some of the tv programs on route 66, tell you to avoid the suburbs,  I think you should do them at least once, that way you get a feeling of what a city is like.

 Another bowl of cereal to get me started.


This is the room I've stayed in for the last couple of days. Not bad for a $48 room. This is why I've not camped yet, would you?


I'm back on the road and into Victorville,  CA. The last town before you cross the mountains into the LA sprawl.  I'm a little early for the museum,  so I hit a route 66 landmark diner for breakfast.



 I want to get one of these clocks for work.





No suprises,  just a good, diner breakfast. Which is what I want, when I'm on the road. By now the museum should be open. But as my west coast museum luck has been, they are closed Tuesday and Wednesday.












It looked like a interesting museum, but I won't find out this trip. Now on to the "old town" of Victorville". Ever wonder what a more or less abandon downtown would look like cleaned up. Well here it is.







This is what Walmart does to small town downtown's. Sad, is it not. All the big box stores are along I-15.

The last one I needed, for my route 66 state marker collection.

From here your forced onto I -15 to head into Cajon pass. There is still a bit of the original route 66,  so I get off to explore it.




 Some of the original 4 lane,  like most, but not all of Route 66, they abandon one side and just use the other. This was the road to Vegas back in the day.


The other side of the mountain is LA.



Sometimes this happens,  the on ramp is closed and the detour is back east/north on I-15 to where I got off.

So now, into the hell that is LA. Since I decided to do the complete route 66, I'd have to do the long ride through all of LA's suburbs.  5 hours of hell,  with every 2nd light turning red just as you got to it. I somehow passed the McD's museum (1st ever McD's). Which was really the only thing I wanted to see. If I have time I'll head back.




I took pics of the other wigwams in Arizona,  but for some reason the pics were not saved. Maybe next trip I'll stay in one, with some planning that is.

Here's a nice clear pic of the "Beverly Hills" sign.

Route 66 does take you through all of LA. Some poor but most good. I could have stopped to take some pics, but really I just wanted to finish it. You know when your getting close, because the temperature starts to drop. With most of the temps being around 95°, it was a good thing. There are two ends to route 66.  The official which you can't stop at and there's no signage to take pics of.

Then there is the unofficial,  but more appropriate" Santa Monica" pier.

 Parked at the end of Route 66. Yea!

 This is the view that greets me. It really is impressive.

 A preview of what my Pacific Coast ride will be like.

 From one end to the other, I've rode it all.

 Now, I know where this goes!

 Down to the parking lot, on the pier.

Some people start here. I finished.

 Having a Latte chilling out.

 Watch what you eat.

 Yes, people swim around the peir.

 Just a great view.





 Watching the sun set while having dinner.

 Messy, but good.

A fitting end to a great ride.


 Slightly out of order.





From 40° to 110°,  Route 66 had it all. Was it easy, no. Was it worth it, ya. You can watch the tv programs on it, but it's a experience I'll never forget and if you ride, you must do it. If you can't do it all at once,  do it in peices.  You won't regret it. I'm glad I did it in September.  The desert was just doable and the motel prices rocked, no camping yet.

I get a couple of days to see LA. It's nothing like you see on TV.


Total mileage 3890 miles/ 6260 km

=====================================




No comments:

Post a Comment