Translate

Thursday 18 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 9

The nice thing about traveling west,  are the time zone changes. Today it means I get to sleep in a extra hour, ya! But it also means the sun rises a hour later. The bike is loaded and ready to go. Now down to the "free" breakfast.  I do love the Texas waffle press, nice touch.




I went with the robust. That means the brown water has some taste. Still 0-8 on the coffee,  and that's not on the good side.



The sun is up and the bike is (almost) loaded and off I go. I had to back track to the east side of town. I'm so glad I did. Coming into Armirillo,  TX, you can see the way it was in the 50's and 60's.  Everything is still there, but has been put to different uses. Now on to the west side of town. The hipsters have gotten to route 66. I gotta say it's impressive.

 Dennis is not part of the hipsters.










From here I leave Armirillo and head over to the "Cadillac Ranch" just outside of town.

 It's actually pretty far back from the road.
 Poor old caddies.




 They are slowly rusting away.
 Caddies all in a row
 More rust.





 The weather is still looking good. Hope it holds.
 Ring around the sun.
The cattle gate, can't let those caddies out. The Cadillac Ranch doesn't look impressive from the road but really comes into its own as you get closer. I'm glad I finally stopped, instead of my usual just driving by.

Besides the cattle stock yard's just down the road (which you can smell before you can see), the next stop is the mid way point. Yea!

 You do feel that you've accomplished something!


Ouch, but no bondo here.

Suprise,  suprise,  it's one of the eagle rider groups from day 1. I'd thought they would be long gone. Funny thing is, they remembered me as well. One of the Germans had a K1200lt like mine and now rides a R1200RT.  These tours are well planned out. They had coffee and danishes waiting for them, when they arrived. I also picked up my first t shirt of the trip here ( but not my last today) and a couple of other things. Anyway time to do the other half of Route 66. A little further down the road is where the separate part of Route 66 ends for the first time since Chicago. I have no other choice but to get on I-40. Since I've got to do 300+ miles today, it's not a bad thing. Also this is where the plains of Texas turn into the deserts of New Mexico.  Its really cool to see. Having said that, I'm at the state line.



This is what the eastern part of  New Mexico looks like, a whole lotta nothing. With no Route 66 to ride on for awhile, and a New Mexico speed limit of 75 mph, I set the cruise control at 80 and enjoy the ride. Though once or twice I might have hit 95 mph ;-). Once you come up to a town you take the off ramp to (Route 66) Tucumcari, NM, is the town that stands out.


 I waned to have lunch here, but as of 11 am, they still were not open.

 This is one of the top route 66 motels to stay at. Every room comes with a car garage,  cool.


A great little town to visit, but I must move on. Back on the I-40 and cruising at 80 mph. The tropical storm has held off coming up this far north. But you can see it not to far south.  I got off at Santa Rosa, NM, and had lunch at the Silver Moon.  Honestly, it was not that great.





Anyway after this disappointing lunch I'm back on the road.


Don't be fooled by this sign, it's to Las Vegas,  NM. Years ago I took this exit to head up to Denver. I told my mom that we're almost in Vegas. I don't think she liked my sense of humor, as Las Vegas, Nevada is one of her favorite places and was rather disappointed when we arrived in Las Vegas, NM.

I did make a stop at on of the highway tourists traps, "The Flying C Ranch" if you've been on I-40 it's hard to miss the dozens of signs.




 Who says you can't make money with fools gold.
 Happy bear.


 I could rule Burwell,  PVSC,  Niagara with this pack. It's taller than all the hobbits (Chris, Niall and Dave).







They were even jumping.



Now for that long descent into Albuquerque.  Nice easy and winding. I've been looking forward to this for 2 reasons.  One the breaking bad tour, and I've planned a day off from riding.

Well I'm finally here. The weather for the last 125 miles has been some light rain showers.  A lot better than it could have been. Well time for a coffee.


You can see how low the clouds are. That and it's a wee bit wet. Now for some "Breaking Bad" bits.


The dog house. Notice, no table's and they offer car service. Still, it's not in a great neighborhood.  Now down to the candy lady.

 Happy Alby
Serious, Hinesburg Tross, want some candy, the first taste is for free!

I check into my hotel and over to "Blake ' s Lotaburger" for dinner. A good burger at a great price.



I've gotta say this has been the best day so far. I can totally understand why one of the shows on Route 66 said if your short on time, start in Armirillo, TX.  Route 66 really does go up a knoch at Armirillo.  Here's a few fun sites to check out.

I'm all lawyered up now while I'm in town.
Better call Saul


Remember to donate to "Save Walter White"

Total mileage 2445 miles/ 3935 km

=====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment