Translate

Wednesday 17 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 8

Well, I got up early again, the usual, pack the bike and down for the "free" breakfast.  Yougart and cherrios and the usual so-so coffee.   Out of town before rush hour. Really the only place I'd spend more time in is just outside of Oklahoma City.  It's called Warr, OK. Built from nothing after WW 2. It has great 50 ' s architecture all through the town. From there I'm over what is one of the longest bridges I'll be going over this trip.





It was a long bridge and as you can see, They like their guns down here. I needed a break anyway.  I just wonder if the river has ever flooded enough for the length of this bridge.

From here, route 66 more or less goes along I-40, which makes for some boring riding.


A F-4 Phantom,  they are big planes. This is at the Stafford museum. Unfortunately I can't do them all, so I pass. The way the ride is now, you ride along I -40 then go off into the little towns. It sucks,  and the road is so bad I had to stop and check the bike.




It's the cattle selfie. They were right along the fence but walked away when I stopped. Today's lesson,  is that cattle don't come to you when called. Who knew. Now on to one of the two route 66 museums in Oklahoma.  The first one is the Oklahoma route 66 museum.  It's only $5 to get in, so why not!







These signs are still in my future.




Maxwell smart anyone?
 It's been long time since I've see on of these.
 You can't have a route 66 museum without the VW micro bus.


Anyway back on the the road. Not a lot of things to see.


As you can see,  not everything survives. little did I know just down the road was the national route 66 Museum.









 Little house on the prairie, and that's where I am.

 Dr Strangelove  training for your kid.
 My sister was into these.
 Me thinks a Brit is doing route 66





Same again $5, but I'm getting museumed out, so I'm back on the road and onto Texas.


Below is Shamrock, TX.  I've been here before.  Around 10 years ago. It was a ghost town, it reminded me of Niagara Falls in the 80's. There were a lot of abandoned motels, gas stations. It was just a town where most people had left. This visit, things where a lot more improved, as you can see below.




I just wish the diner was open. Well I'm off again. Also on how cool it was inside. Still the temps were in the 80's today.  Good for riding.

The tilting water tower. Now that I see the pic, I realize you can't see the tilt. They made it this way to drag you off the interstate.  But to be honest there's nothing here.

 I've been by here before, so this time I wanted to see how far out I could see this. It was 6 miles away that I could see the cross from.


This is the door I wanted to go through.  Hey,  I was just happy god provides washrooms for my visit. 

Now I'm on to Amarillo,  TX and my bed for the night. The original plan was to stay at the "Big Texan" . But with a $80 room rate, I'll stick with a better $50 room and the difference will pay for my T bone at the big texan.









Best steak to get here is the T bone. The only disappointment was there were no tourists trying the free 72 oz challenge.  Well it's been a long day and time to head to the motel. Hopefully the tropical storm won't be too bad

Mileage totals 2110 miles/ 3395 km

========================================

No comments:

Post a Comment