Translate

Friday 12 September 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 3

Well, I had a good night's sleep last night. I guess that extra ear plug made the difference.  No motel breakfast today, yek. I'm right over to Bob Evans.  I'm glad I did it as the coffee is good.



As I walk over to Bob Evans, I notice that's it's a lot cooler this morning,  or should I say cooler than it's been. In reality,  it's about as warm as it should be for a September morning.

Well it's time for breakfast and Bob Evans doesn't disappoint.


A great breakfast,  and now I have to pack up. For a $45 night room, it was good. Nothing special, but clean and with the ear plugs,  quiet.  I'd stay here again.  Now I have to go and fill up the bike. I usually do it the night before,  but with all the rain I didn't bother. Nice thing about this motel is that it's right off I-94. It's supposed to be a slab day, but with only having to cover 250 miles today I think I'll be jumping off and do some secondary roads.

So off I go, only to find I forgot to hook up the output for the XM radio (not a deal killer) and I'm a layer short (rain/wind breaker). So after 5 miles I see the rest area sign and I'm off. Out comes the wind breaker and plug in the xm radio. Then back on I-94. I'm also glad I changed the helmet from 3/4 to the full face mode. It's not quite raining,  but more of a mist, or just enough to be a pain.

As I get out of greater Detroit,  the temperature drops to the low 80's.  I do have to say Michigan' s road standards kind of suck.  Lots of construction in other states,  but not much here. Really the only memorable thing was passing a red Sunbeam Alpine on the interstate.  75 miles later and it's time for a coffee. I see a sign at one of the exits for Bigby coffee. So why not try it.



Looks good enough with free wifi and "The Cure" playing when I come in, it will do. One Latte later and a updated blog I top up the tank and back on the slab.

I do hit a bit of rain,  but it doesn't last long and a light drizzle one in a while. To be honest the day is rather depressing with the gray sky and 50 degree temps.  I cross over the state line into Indiana,  to bad I couldn't stop due to the construction going on right by the sign. I also found out this is where the time change is. My body says it's 2 pm but the clock says 1 pm. The sign on the off ramp says "White Castle", it's lunch time😎

Fill up the bike as the white castle is attached to the gas station.




I don't get to eat white castle that much, which is good,  but it also makes it a treat when I do. I tried to eat only one double bacon with cheese,  but, guilty as charged, I had to order another. One piece of advice,  never order the large milkshake,  this is the medium and I had to throw half of it away.

Now that I'm full of greasy burger heaven, I notice a "Big Lots" in the same plaza. I've got to get some supplies anyway, and they will be quicker than Wallymart.  So over I go, this is what greets me:



Am I mistaken, or is it still the beginning of September?  I know it's cold outside today but really. It's not like this crap is on sale. Anyway I go and pick up some toothpaste,  a battery for my flashlight and some pop (soda for my American friends) and popcorn. Guess what I come across.



Sorry,  but I'm going to pass on the blue twinkles,  there's something so wrong about them. Having said that,  if I had the room, I would have picked up the pub sign below.


I'm only a 1/2 hour from tonight's motel. So I'm off. It's going to be a early night as I want to have breakfast at "Lou Mitchell ' s Restaurant.  Which is a famous place to start your Route 66 adventure. 





Well I'm about 35 minutes away from the windy city and looking forward to it. 

Goodnight till tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment