Translate

Saturday 2 November 2019

Tucson, Tombstone, and El Paso, TX




Day 6


I get up early again, but it gives me time to do some laundry, though that first machine

broke on me, so I had to use the other. They even gave me my money back. It gets

done, and the way things are working, I just have enough time to pack up and hit

the road for my 9 O'clock appointment at the dealer.


 
           Bad coffee and laundry, that's what make those happy vacation memories, says no one.




This time I try the packets I bought at the $ store. Taster's choice, french roast. Sometimes

you shouldn't be so cheap. They just don't cut it. Back to the Starbucks ones. I just realized,

maybe I should just drink tea at motel/hotels when I run out of instant Starbucks.


The usual, except they didn't have yogurt in the self serve packs. So I stuck with cereal.

A couple of small bowls will do. Anyway, all packed up and on the road by 8:30 am. I

make it to the dealer by 9 am. I unhitch the trailer, and in she goes. A hour for labour, so

I should be back on the road by 11 am, all said and done. To which I am.




                                                          All the bikes I can't afford.








                                                          There she is, up on the lift.



Even the employees know it's bad coffee, and like every other workplace on Nov 1st, someone

brought in their leftover candy. Breakfast!


It's about 100 miles to Tombstone, or 1 1/2 hours riding time.  I get there around 12:30 pm.

It's one of those things, I want to be in El Paso, TX tonight, but if I visit Tombstone, I'll be

doing some night riding. As you can see, I'll be doing some night riding and arriving late.

But will I ever be back here?, who knows, so Tombstone, here I come. There are lot's of cops around

to catch tourists. They had one pulled over when I came into town. They are easy to spot,

they always have brand new cars from all the fines they issue. The bike is running well and

the mileage is back up to 40 mpg. So I'm happy.



Tombstone is probably the most famous of the western towns due to all the movies made

about it. Well there it is, the OK Corral. The charge you to go inside and they put on a show,

but that's not really my thing, and I'm pressed for time. Though if I was into Star Trek cosplay,

You could have some fun in this town reenacting a Original Star Trek episode.











                                                         It is kind of cool to see in person.



                                                            You walk down one side



Then come back the other, Tombstone really isn't that big. it's around 4 blocks in length.

That is, the old part of it. It's a good time of the year to come, not to busy, parking was easy,

and the temperatures are perfect.




The usual tourist stores and Saloons. I'd say it would be worth it to stay overnight and

hit up some of the saloons.



                                                        The shaded side of the street.





That's what happens to all these western towns. They catch fire a lot!!!  I hang around for

about a hour, fill up the bike and head to Texas. But first I have to pass through New

Mexico. I come across the Continental divide, though the sign is on the highway and there

is no where to stop. Well, I am making some progress. I do make it about 2/3 through New

Mexico, before I have to fill up. But I lose a hour due to the time change in New Mexico. The

funny thing is that the clocks go back on Saturday night, so I get it back. So this stop is a

mix of lunch and dinner.




I finally get some good internet at this McD's and upload the rest of my "boneyard" 

pictures. Though that will take a day or 2 to update on the blog, as time is tight today.

It's 5 pm and I've still got 2 hours of riding left. No problems though I will have to do

around 45 minutes of night riding. The sunset was great and the twilight riding was 

amazing, with it taking around a hour for it to get completely dark.  One thing about

riding in the desert at night, It gets cold fast, like dropping into the high 40's kind of

cold.


 Traffic picks up as we come into El Paso, TX.

 This is a border city, and at night you can tell where the border

is by the darkness. I check in and unload. That double cheeseburger will have to do, as

I can't be bothered on heading out for dinner. I checked the weather, it's going to be a cold

one tomorrow. Low 40's for the start of riding, I guess all my cold weather gear is coming

out. It's going to feel just like home! A bit of TV and to bed.



Today's miles 491 miles or 780 km

Total for trip 1151 miles or 1852 km

Correction, when I went to leave I noticed I got the mileage wrong by 100 miles. Hey a

0 and a 9 look the same in the dark, so here are the updated ones.


Today's mileage 391 miles or 629 km

Total for trip, 1051 miles or 1692 km

No comments:

Post a Comment