Translate

Monday 4 November 2019

The Alamo and the Gulf Coast.





Day 8




I wake up at 5 am. Which is around where I want to be. It's going to be a easy day.

A visit to the Alamo, downtown San Antonio, and the river walk. Then it's a 2 hour

ride down to the coast. I put on Match of the day, so I can actually see what happened

yesterday. I leisurely head downstairs to the breakfast bar. I grab a coffee and a couple

of yogurts. 



I have a shower and start to pack up. Since the Alamo does not open till 9 am, I can watch

the premier league highlights from yesterday. I hit the road at 8:30 am The nice thing about

heading to the Alamo on a Sunday is that there is no traffic heading into downtown San

Antonio. I park at the Riverwalk Center and head over to the Alamo.




I always try and take a picture of were I am parked. Because I hate having to try and

find my bike/car after forgotten what level I parked on.




         A nice statue of Teddy Roosevelt, though I don't know what it has to do with the Alamo.





             It's actually smaller than I thought, but it is over 300 years old, so that explains a lot.





                         The line is just to the right, to get in, then you go through the front doors.




I've heard of great long lines to get in. Today there is just 20 people who are ahead of me.

Either it's because it's Sunday, or the time of the year. I'll go with both.



The Alamo is made of a soft limestone, and they are having problems with it crumbling.

So this sign describes what they are doing to repair and restore the Alamo. Unfortunately

you can't take any pictures inside the Alamo. It's a shame, but you must respect the

wishes of ? I guess you can find them online.








A reinactor, showing what it was like living in the time of when the Alamo fell. Makes

my camping look luxurious.



                                           Walking around the grounds, it's so peaceful.




I am amazed on how quite it is, as we are in downtown San Antonio. But it's also Sunday.



                       The reason they put the mission (Alamo) here in the first place, water!




The side door on which you leave the main building. It's actually quite big inside. Bigger

than it looks from the front. There still is no basement. The basement is a joke for those

who know.







This map gives you a layout of what is here, and what was, and is not here. Even back then,

there were people who wanted to redevelop the land. They also have a great movie in the

back describing all of the history of the Alamo up to the present. They actually sold some of

it off, and the new owner wanted to put up a hotel on the site.




                                            Can't go to the Alamo without getting a selfie!!!




I'm still surprised on how quite and peaceful the Alamo was. I'm glad I came and learned a

little history.




               Of course, the area around the Alamo is a tourist trap. Mixed in with some local art.




Lately I've been seeing Ripley's Believe it or not everywhere. So I went on line to find out on how


many there were. 32 is the answer. I've must have see at least 10 of them already.






               Alamo park, they are doing some renovations/changes. Hopefully for the better.





I was thinking about it, would the big Razor be able to handle "The Albytross"?                           

You scan the QR code, follow the directions,

and it unlocks and off you go. I did see a guy with lot's of batteries replacing old dead ones.




Just down the block and at the Riverside center is a Starbucks. Which is just what I need.

Since I was there, I restocked on those instant coffee's for the motel. As I'm writing this I've

already used one.




I head over to Riverwalk, I actually don't know what to expect, except what I've see on

YouTube videos. Though from the above picture, it isn't starting off to promising.





                                       Though that quickly changes as I walk further down.




                    It's actually really nice, and as I see a map, it's a lot bigger than I thought.





The boats act as a ferry service, a day pass is $20. I'd say it is worth it if you were staying

all day. Since I'm not, I passed.








                                                  The man who the city is named after.




Every once in a while there are foot bridges that you can cross over to the other side. Also

there are lots of places that you can stop and rest and enjoy a coffee. There are lots of

restaurants along the river, most are still closed as it's still early. But there are a few serving

breakfast.





History of the Riverwalk


I actually didn't know the history of the Riverwalk until I came here. I'm surprised it was

a new deal project. The only other new deal project that I know of is Hoover Dam.




This one hurt, I didn't know that San Antonio was having the day of the dead going on.

This I would have stayed around for, but I had already booked the nights hotel in Corpus

Christi. They had lot's of black lights, so this would have looked great at night. My first

big disappointment of the trip.
























                                                          Visiting with the family.




                                 With all the black lights set up, this would have looked great.





Well that is about it for San Antonio, It's a nice place to visit, and I could have spent  at

least another day here, but I must be moving on.


Next stop is Corpis Christi, TX. It's a nice ride down with the temps rising to the low

70's. It's about a 2 hour ride with little traffic, which is just the way I like it. For the first

time I saw turkey road kill, how do I know it was a turkey, by the tail feathers of course.

How do you know your near the gulf coast, the refineries are there. This is more or less

the skyline of Corpus Christi.  




The reason for the visit, The Lady Lex.  Corpus Christi was also one of my cutouts. If things

went bad (problems) I could cutout Corpis Christi and just ride to Houston. But I'm glad I

didn't. As you can see, parking was no problem.









                                        That's one big anchor, but it's for one big ship.




Who can say no to a aircraft carrier. I'm going to enjoy this tour. This will make the 3rd

one I've been on. The Intrepid in NYC,  the Midway in San Diego, and now the Lexington

in Corpus Christi. 




                                                  It makes it easy id in case they lose it.




                                      It's a beautiful day, with people fishing off the dock.




                                                     
The aircraft hanger is full of exhibits.





                                                          One Disney torpedo



            I guess my look of being the skipper doesn't work, who would be Gilligan, Niall?































                                 I'd like to find the remote for this model and put it in some lake.














                     Only on a aircraft carrier could you put in a 3D movie theater. It was good.




                                     You get in a nice breeze from one of the side doors.




                                                   Lot's and lot's of hatches.














                                             That's how thick the anchor chain is.




                                         Up front and enjoying the view of the bay.




                                                That explains everything on where I am.




                       For such a big ship, they really jam you in. Unless your a officer.




                                    On the flight deck, with all the planes on display.









                      Looking way up, and I'm soon going to climb up all those stairs.




The bridge over the bay, they are building a new one to replace it. With all the extra

interchange upgrades that go with it. Traffic is lite, so no worries.









                             If you ever want to know the history, just look up on the bridge.









        The bridge is really small, but you have to remember the ship is over 75 years old.




                                                         Nice views from here though.









                  What a beautiful set of phones, they don't build them like that anymore.




                                                   Some of the original teak decking.









                                        It doesn't work, but I remember this from the USS Intrepid.




                                                              A little worse for wear.




                                 They are stripping down the F-14 for repainting, Jolly Roger colors.














                         This is cool, though I don't know if I'd actually fit through it.




                                                   The never ending corridors.









                                                        Looking pretty good.









                                                           One of 4 propeller shafts









                                                                  The mail room.





























                        It was a great tour and well worth the trip to Corpus Christi.




I've been seeing lots of these on the road down here, I guess the weather does make a

difference.





When in Texas, get some BBQ, which I did. 8 oz of brisket will do. Picked up all my supplies

and back to my room..


Today's mileage  175 miles or 282 km

Total for this part of trip

1792 miles or 2884 km



                     










   




































                                         






         








                 



















                           






















                                 





                       


No comments:

Post a Comment