Translate

Sunday 3 November 2019

El Paso to San Antonio, TX, or a whole lot of nothing




Day 7 



First thing is, that I cannot believe a week has gone by as I write this. I wake up not

too early, though I did pass into a new time zone, so I lose a hour. Maybe that's why 

I'm sleeping in longer. No mistake this time, I make a instant Starbucks, and with 

those little creamers and sugar, and I have a good cup of coffee. This is one of those

hotels with restaurant and no free breakfast buffet. So it's those little pecan pies you

by at Walmart for 50 cents. I promise to have something heather, later. It's cold outside

this morning, 42 degrees. Hopefully it's the coldest it will get for the trip. The funny 

thing is, I was thinking yesterday that I didn't really need to bring my cold weather

gear. I suit up and off I go around 8 am. This is also my biggest stretch of  the trip.


It's 545 miles, and 7 hours and 52 minutes according to Google. At least it's Saturday and

El Paso is quite and I'm through easily.  Since I only have a half a tank, I make a quick

stop for gas and I'm back on the road. Now, I'm out in the Southwest desert with nothing

to see for 500 miles. Thank god I have my XM radio subscription. BBC world has the 

Liverpool vs Aston Villa game on with a pre show plus coverage of all the other matches.

That really made 2 hours go by, especially Liverpool's last minute come back, and I do

mean last minute. I pass into the Central time Zone, which means I lose another hour.

The funny thing is, due to the clocks going back, I get the hour back tomorrow. So I'm

just going to leave the clock on the bike alone. 

It looks a lot warmer than it is. I'd go for around the high 50's.


My second of more than a few gas stops. I try and do a 2 hour ride then fill up and a break.

I also checked the oil level. After reading the owners manual, you have to check the level

when the bike is warm. It's only down to the half way mark. This bike really doesn't burn

any oil.



I told you I'd have something healthy, the problem I'm running into is the menu at McD's is

different at each location. Here they only had the Southwest salad. It's ok, but some of their

other salads are better. I do have another stop around 2 hours later, to book my motel, as now

I'm only 2 hours ride away, so I kind of know that I can make it before sundown. Of course I only

hit the traffic jam due to construction 15 minutes away from my motel. 30 minutes later I

check in, unload the bike and get rid of that turtle head from the traffic jam.




It's across the street and there isn't much around here, so Whataburger it is. Hey if it's good

enough for Wendy from "Breaking Bad", its good enough for me.



                         All parked safely for the night in one of those premium members spots



Reasonably priced burgers and they are ok. Whataburger is more or less in the southwest.

No In-N-Out burgers out this far.






I also filled up the bike, so it's ready for tomorrows ride. They had my favourite drink, orange

mtn dew. If I could only have one pop to drink, it would be this one. I worked on the blog,

watched episode 2 of the "Watchman" and went to sleep.


Today's miles 566 miles or 911 km

Today's total for trip 1617 miles or 2602 km


I just checked and I'm around 1/2 way to Key West, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment