Translate

Tuesday 5 November 2019

Corpus Christi to Galveston.




Day 9


I went to bed early, so I could get up early. I had some problems with the blog yesterday,

so it was better if I just walked away, and we will leave it at that. I'm on the 

road by 8 am, and it's warm, well warmer than it's been over the last few days. So I start

the day in the low 60's. The plan is to head up the coast to the Huston Space Center and

take some tours. The ride up the coast is nice, you see the coast sometimes, with the fishing

and shrimp boats out, and refineries at

other times, there really are a lot of them (refineries). It makes New Jersey look like a chemical play

set. Texas secondary highways are great, with speed limits from 60 mph to 75 mph.

At the end of the day, you can make some great time, or at least not loose to much and

still get to see some great scenery.  




The gas prices in Texas are literally 1/2 the price that you pay in California. Instead of             

handing $20's to fill up, now you only have to give the cashier $10. The lowest that I've

seen is $1.99 a gallon. That is of course, after I'd filled up.




                                            With all those miles, it's time for a fast wash.




This is why I wanted to drive the gulf coast. I'm just coming over the causeway onto

Galveston Island. I was here 20 years ago for a Scooter Run. I took my Lambretta to Vegas

and had some extra time, so I hit up the Galveston Scooter Run. Good times and introduced

me to Texas BBQ. There have been some

changes since I've been here last. Like all the upgraded cottages to mansions all along

the coast.

Yep, trailer's still there!


The sand and the sea, it's just so enjoyable to ride along. The plan was to go to the Space

center today, but I was going to come here after, but on looking on the map, it made more

sense to do it first instead of coming back after. The Sonic was still there from all those

years ago.




                                                                         More selfies.





               The pier wasn't there when I was here last. I don't think it was open anyway. 





I head downtown to park and look around. I paid for parking only to find out my credit

card was declined. I didn't think anything of it.





         I head down to the port and look for something to eat. I find a seafood restaurant.









I start with the Lobster Bisque. It was absolutely wonderful. It's been years since I've had

a perfect Bisque, with lots of lobster in nice big chunks. I'm so glad I ordered the bowl

instead of the cup. The stuffed shell crab was good as well, but the bisque was outstanding.

So if your ever down around the Port of Galveston, hit up Willie G's Seafood and Steak. This

is when I find out my credit card has been compromised, when I tried to book a room for

the next couple of days. PC Financial were quick to catch it. Quick enough that nothing was

put through. Anyway, after dealing with that, I head to some of the local pawn shops to

see what the have. Some close deals, but no cigar.




                                                             Not on this trip, it's not.




                          My guess the Galveston Cotton Exchange isn't doing so well.




With it being Monday, I guess I won't be going in. I had some hints that there was a big

biker rally here this past weekend. As I was coming over to the island, there were lots

of Harley's leaving. I ended up talking to one of the locals, 400,000 bikers were here

over the weekend. That explains why it's so quite today.  I check out the shops.



I head over to my motel and catch up on all the blog backlog. That should take me the rest 

of the afternoon.


Today's mileage 276 miles or 444 km

Totals for this part of the trip

2068 miles or 3328 km


No comments:

Post a Comment