Translate

Saturday 9 November 2019

New Orleans





Day 13



I wake up at 5 am again, though I better start sleeping in as another time zone is

coming up.



It's early enough, though, I don't know it the Starbucks in the lobby is

open yet. That, and it's early enough, that I'm a bit lazy to actually get dressed

and head downstairs. 


The view from my hotel, downtown New Orleans. 


The plan today is to visit the WW2 museum and head back over to the French

Quarter. 



Look what snuck in last night, or this morning. 



The museum doesn't open up till 9 am. So lot's of time to update the blog and do

the 3 S's. 


So I walk over to the museum, and get there just before it opens. This place is bigger than I

thought it would be.



It's over $40 to get in, if you get all the extra add-on's. Since this will be the only time

I'm here, I get the full meal deal. They start you off on a train leaving so you can join

the army.



You head upstairs, where you get a before the war exhibit. The rise of Hitler, the

no war movement in the US. Stuff like that. The interesting part, is that this is from

an American perspective, not the Canadian/British perspective that I was brought

up with.








I actually didn't know Germany had so many solders in its army at the beginning of the war.











Then came the wake up call of Pearl Harbor. What I didn't know was the President ordered

the fleet to leave San Diego for Hawaii for a show of strength to the Japanese.




The $1 bill you see there was marked "Hawaii" in black ink. So if the Japanese invaded

Hawaii, they could make any captured currency void.





The above say's it all. Hopefully, one day, I'll make it to Hawaii to see it for myself.








                                                                 The aftermath.























Not one of the better parts of WW2. Was it right? Maybe, maybe not. The problem was

a lot of innocent Japanese Americans got caught up in it.




                                 Need dog tags, this is the machine that printed them out.








One of the more interesting displays. I've seen the movie, and watched a documentary on

the recovery of the barrels from the ferry.









I've always wanted to see a piece of this, actually I'd like one as a souvenir, but the

government doesn't allow you to take them anymore. They still do tours of the test sites.

Nevada test site tours.


One of these days I'll go on one. Though, by looking at the website, they are full for a

few years.



The secret cities for the Manhattan project.





D-Day, Kraut vs American, British and Canadians. Though, they don't talk about the

last 2 much.






















Kind of funny, there was just D-day, then Germany surrenders. That was fast!




And that's the thing, never forget all those who fought and died. When I was young,

you would see thousands march on Warrors day at the CNE. Then over the years it

got smaller and smaller.




A nice view of the streets and the bridge over the Mississippi.




Just a random B-109 hanging around.









































































What can you say, Hitler was just a asshole, hope you enjoyed the bullet.
















Gotta remember what your fighting for boys!



















I went to Germany, and I'll I brought back was a tea set.  Then on to the gift shop.




Lots of old school toys, even older than me.









Maybe one of these days I'll get a Lionel train set. I like the Bluetooth part though.




The British gift section.




That's a good tea box.




Some not so PC children's toys.




The Boeing sponsored part of the building. The B-17 is nice though.














Take the elevator to the top and you can look down on the displays.































As you can guess, I really liked the B-17 from all the pictures I took. The idea of this

museum is to tell the stories of those who were there. Whereabouts, most museums put

their focus on the equipment. It's a nice change. 



From here I walked down to the French Quarter. I was wondering why none of the 

famous streetcars were running. Then I came across this, and remembered. The 

partially collapsed Hard Rock Hotel.  









You can see more of the collapse from the back. There still are 2 bodies inside. It's

too unsafe for them to get the remains. They are going to demolish the building, then

recover the bodies.



Want to live in the French Quarter?  Here is what it costs, give them a call.









There are some interesting stores. But to be honest, it's mostly bars with loud music.

It's a Friday afternoon, and the drinking and partying had already begun.

Though, I thought I took more pictures. I wondered around some more. Then slowly

made my way back to my hotel for some rest.





Just a little overpriced for me, Tiffany's and Louis Vuitton. It was a small mall anyway.  

I walked by the cruse ship, they offloaded this morning, and were loading up this afternoon.

I looked out of my hotel room around 6 pm, and the big beasty was gone!



A couple of extra things, first I didn't cheapen out on the motel/hotel. New Orleans comes

with a reputation, deserved or not. So the Tross doesn't want to be on "The First 48". " A 

tourist rides into town, and is shot at a convenience store, etc". So I pay to stay in a nice 

neighborhood. 20 years ago, I'd be all gun hoe to head down to the French Quarter on a 

Friday night, now, not so much. It is the curse of traveling alone. If I was with a big group,

yes, I would have headed down there. 


Is New Orleans overrated? If your coming to party 

in the French Quarter, of course not. The biggest surprise was the food, though it's not just

confined to New Orleans. I like Cajun food, but to come down here and actually have it,

brings it to a different level. I'm glad I came, next time, I'll have to come with friends.

Though this would be a great place to come for a scooter rally. 


Today's mileage 7.8 miles on foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment