Translate

Monday 11 November 2019

Space X launch and Daytona Beach




Day 16



Up at the usual 5 am, though last night, I rode through the Starbucks drive through,

and asked, "What time do you open", "5 am" was the reply. I get up and head over

to Starbucks for my coffee.




I'm very happy, I just hope the rest of the day goes like this. I start trying to update

the blog, but I'm 2 days behind. Though with the coffee, I blast through a lot of it.




Nice motel, built in the 60's when they built Kennedy Space Center, Which means big

rooms, pool with courtyard, and lots of other good stuff. Why don't they still make them

like this?





This makes it easy, I've got that much time to work on the blog, do the 3 S's, and find

me a good place to see everything from. You can go to Kennedy Space Center, Pay over

$50 per person to see the launch, (to be honest, if you've never been to Kennedy Space 

center, it is worth it), or since I've been there before, I'll find a place down by the river

front and watch it from there. I leave around a hour before, so I have time to find a good

parking place. I find a good place with parking, and a good biker to shoot the shit with  

while waiting for the launch.





There's my bike parked on the grass, across from the Kennedy Space Center.




Here you can see the Saturn V assembly building, across the bay.






Just a plaque placed there by the city of Titusville. There are lot's of people here, plus 

some self confessed rocket geeks who keep us all informed on what's happening, and when

the launch is going to happen.





The actual launch is about 30 seconds into the video.


I had a choice, either pictures or video. I went with video. The only drawback is 

you can't really hear the roar of the rocket engines. You have to listen really closely.

Plus you get my sweet commentary, of me talking to my biker friend. Was it worth

it, yep it was. The next goal will be to see a Falcon heavy or night launch. Well, 

that's about it for Space X. The boosters landed some 600 miles away, on barges out in 

the Atlantic ocean. So no returning to the Kennedy Space Center. It's 10 am, so what to

do? I'll head up to Daytona Beach and all the biker stuff. Plus I need to get some

elbow armor. Mine fell apart into 3 pieces, sometime during this trip. It's about a 

hours ride up I-95. Oh, I forgot, it was already in the mid 60's when I left, now it's

into the 70's. I do listen to News 1010, when I have free Wi-Fi at the motel. So I know

what the weather is back home, and how lucky I am to be on this trip. I head to 

the J&P superstore. It's a big, mostly Harley store, with some cool stuff. Boom,

they are closed for Veterans day. I totally understand. So just down the road is the 

local Harley dealer and biker mall. They have a Harley outlet store. I end up getting

the eyeglass case for $5. My case is just too small.    




The discount table for the win! After shopping the other stores and picking up a mechanic's

shirt for $20, I head into Daytona Beach and hit up some pawn shops. Finally I find a watch.

This pawn shop must of had over 100 different watches. Though one caught my eye. Though the

price was hidden. $100 dealed down to $90. Now the proud owner of my first 1000 m

dive watch.



It was $600 new at one of my more reasonable watch sellers who I buy off of. $250-$300

used on fleaBay. So it's a good deal, and more importantly, I like it. It's a well made

watch and it stood out. The funny thing is that it fit perfectly. From here, I head down

to Main St. or biker row. This is where they have all the biker bars and sellers. It's

just like Sturgis, SD. Very quite, because it's not bike week. I buy another set of

half gloves, as I seem to lose them, have a great conversation with the lady running the

store, about my adventures and old Vegas. Nice lady.








Nice GTS, the yellow works. Lot's of Harley's, but you do see some other brands as

well,



What can I say, but, Leslie O' Malley, this shirt calls out to you. If your ever in Daytona

Beach, check them out.




One of the more famous biker bars in Daytona Beach.




This place I liked, they didn't hold back.




I still laugh every time I see it.



It's getting late, so here's one last pic of me riding on I-95. Thankfully traffic was a

lot less today, then yesterday. I stop by some "Famous" sea food place in Titusville and

pick up dinner. It was ok, but not Cajun good. Damm, I'm going to miss Louisiana and 

all that great food. I fill up the tank and back to the motel to catch up on 3 days of blogs.

It's been a good day and worth the 500 mile ride. 



Today's Mileage

176 miles or 283 km

Total for this trip

3483 miles or 5605 km


PS I'm finally caught up on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment