Translate

Wednesday 13 November 2019

Getting closer, my drive down the coast to the Keys, and Cocoa Beach



Day 17



I get up around 5:30 am, though, I don't know what to do with myself. I don't have

to update the blog. So I might as well get the pain over, and book a room in Key West.

A half a hour later I book a room in Marathon, which is like a 1/2 hour outside of

Key West. Key West has always been expensive to stay, and since last time, everyone

has added "Resort fees".  Still, I got it for cheaper than New Orleans. With that out

of the way, and it being after 6 am, I head down to the breakfast buffet. A decent 

spread, though they have a Nescafe coffee machine. I hit the dark roast button, and 

out comes a ok cup of coffee. Some frosted flakes and yogurt should get me through

the morning.





Look at that fine camera skill, the great bowl of soggy frosted flakes. I pack up and hit

the road around 8 am. There is no hurry today, as I'm only going as far as Homestead, FL.

Which is right at the beginning of the Keys. I could actually to a run straight to Key West,

but I don't need a full day's of riding ahead of me. I want to enjoy my ride to Key West,

so hence, the stop here. Since I have time to spare, I'm going to take highway 1-A down

the coast a bit. I hit up pawn shops in Cocoa and Cocoa beach. You gotta love the selection

of surf boards in the shops. I'm actually liking Florida pawn shops, maybe a little too much,

as today I bought a GoPro hero 5, and a watch I've been looking for. The GoPro looked like

it had only been out of the box once or twice, the watch was in perfect condition. Both I

made silly offers, the problem, their counter offers were good, so good, I bought both.




It might actually be cheaper to buy one here, than to rent at a surf shop. Though rather

large for a carry on.




I dropped by Cocoa Beach. Fondly remembered by lots of scooterists for the great

winter rally held there. Honestly, I still want another one there. It's a great place and

I have fond memories of the place. It's more or less the same, even with the hurricane

that brushed it. A few updates, but that's about it. Though, all the free parking we enjoyed

when we were last there is gone. Would you pay $2.50 per 1/2 hour to visit Ron Jon's ?




Still, I'd go back again, even if it's just to get on a cruse ship.




My last pawn shop of the day, and the most expensive, though, also my cheapest find.

My bike is a 2003, so it has a cd player. It's one of those things you mean to get around

to, like burning a cd for the trip, but didn't get around to. So why not dig around and see

what I can find.






Makes you wonder if the cd's and the wheelchair were dropped off at the same time?






I end up finding the "Dream Warriors". We have a winner. I head inside to see what 

else they have, and end up finding that watch I was looking for. They wanted too much,

he said make a offer, I made a silly low one, he countered at the amount I had in my head.

Damm, now I have another watch. I asked him if he'd throw in the cd, which of course,

he did. No more pawn shops for today, I've spent too much. 


A Citizen Blue Angle.




With over 3 hours of riding 

time ahead of me, it's back on to Interstate 95, and some Florida toll roads. Unlike the 

407 toll highway which nickel and dimes you for every cent. Down here, you buy a pre

loaded transponder, set up a account and go. No account or transponder fees. So before

I came down, I updated my info, and I'm good to go. Miami traffic. You will never get 

through it without hitting some stop and go, guaranteed. I've been in worse, so it wasn't 

to bad. Though the temperatures has risen into the high 80's, which on the bike, at 75 mph,

is just about perfect. I get into Homestead around 4 pm, check in, and do my running 

around for supplies, Gopro accessories, and fill up the bike. By the time I get back, it's 

already dark. I just want to relax, so I save the updating of the blog to tomorrow 

morning. 


Today's mileage 278 miles or 447 km

Totals for this part of the trip

3761 miles or 6053 km



No comments:

Post a Comment