Translate

Friday 14 July 2017

Not again, and missed most of the rain.






Day 4


I got up way too early this morning, but being on vacation, does it really matter? It's not like I have to do things around the house. etc. One of the things that has not changed forever,  and as long as I've been on the road, is TBS showing "Married with children" from around 5:30 am to around 7 am. It's kind of my go to channel, as news is mostly local, so it doesn't really mean anything, if you don't live in that city or town that your staying for the night.





Al Bundy, yea!, as I slowly wake up.


Since I got way too much instant Starbucks coffee, I head down to the breakfast room. 





Since it's 6:30 am, I guess I'll have to wait. Well this is a first, usually most places are open at 6 am. But as I past the lobby, I spot a coffee machine. Viola, coffee for me! Since I have some cherries and bananas left over from last night, I'm sorted for breakfast.

I'm staying in the town of Strasburg, PA, which is just south of Lancaster, PA. Ah, the wonders of Priceline, but it's 10 minutes from all the outlets and the shopping strip of Lancaster, so I can't complain. 

This is probably the most interesting motel that I will be staying at, as a lot of the rooms are in buildings converted to motel rooms.





I was staying in the 'John Mussleman House". It must have been one hell of a house, they fitted 36 motel rooms in it over 2 floors. Plus the rooms were bigger than most. One thing that I've noticed is that all my rooms already have the air conditioner going at full tilt when I check in and go to the room. Maybe it's a Pennsylvania thing, but I'm loving it. 





My room is behind the bike.


Since I don't have a long ride today, there was no need to leave early. So around 11 am, I head out. I stop at the dollar store on the way for some more supplies. Batteries for the cheapo, but nice flashlight I bought at the Coleman outlet store. Some crazy glue to glue down the visor for the GPS ( the velcro just doesn't want to stay), and some moister absorb all for the leaking cooler bag in my bikes top box, just replaced by a nice Coleman mini cooler. The ride is nice and easy until I'm outside of Klutzville, PA.  While waiting in construction traffic, I loose my gear selector,  but at least this time when it happened, I was in 1st gear. It really is a weak link on this model. Let's just say on the forums, it's a part that you don't ride without. 3rd time for me replacing it. 


Nothing to do but find a grassy area to park the bike and get to work. 45 min to an hour later everything is fixed. Gear selector is nice and tight again. I do suspect that at my first motel stay, someone got on the bike when parked and was trying to shift the bike while parked. I do remember it seemed a little looser the next morning, or I'm just a little heavy handed with it. But I'll never know. 

Also no pics, as I wanted to just get back on the road.




Here's a pic from the last time I had to fix it, except this time, it broke on the top. As I keep a cooler in the top box, it's no problem keeping hydrated.  A hour later, I make it to my motel, which actually isn't the run motel. With the exchange rate, a $100 motel room is affordable, but the $200 a night run motel really isn't. It's about a 10 to 15 minute ride/drive to the run motel. But it's a trade off I'm willing to accept. The nice hotel clerk let me check in early (2 pm). Then I head over to Wegman's supermarket to stock up on supplies and pick up some dinner. 

As I walk in, I feel the drop, drop, of rain drops. I grab a salad, some pop and a few other things. By the time I come out it is pouring (thunderstorms). I wait 10 minutes for a gap, and as the motel is less than a mile away, I go. Man, what a big mistake. As soon as I leave the parking lot, the rain starts right back up. It gets so bad, I have to pull over, as so much rain is getting in my eyes, and I literally can't see the road (first time ever). Well, I learned a lesson today. Wear  a helmet when it's raining, even if it's only for a few blocks.

The rain is on and off, but more on, for the rest of the afternoon and evening, so time for me to update the blog.  


Lammyjammy tomorrow!


Mileage - about 150 miles for the day, and checking on the bike, 655 miles in total to get here.


No comments:

Post a Comment