Translate

Thursday 7 May 2015

A new year, and going back to Vegas to pick up the bike.



Well, it's been a while since I've posted. Namely because I've done nothing but work and pay off the
"Big One" from last year. It's taken till April to pay off, but it was worth it. One thing that I do know, is that I will be going back to the west coast sooner than later. Hell, I didn't even get down to Dave's and Rich's over the winter.


On the scooter front, I picked up a slightly used clutch off a accident scooter on ebay to fix that clutch slippage (I think) from Port Burwell last year. I've also got a new belt and rollers etc to cover everything else.



$75 and from the pics, the pads are almost new.
Funny thing is that I haven't been on eBay for a long time and on a whim decided to have a look, then this pops up.







Well you know how it goes, you can't stop at one thing. The seller also had this for sale as well.




Both are from the same bike, and the tire still has most of it's nibs still on. Just makes you wonder on how far down the road this scooter got from the dealership when it was crashed. $70 for the rear tire and rim, how can you go wrong.


Just to show you how much I've been procrastinating, I bought these in January and it's almost May, and I'm just going to pick them up now. Well, it's not like the weather has been great. (Update), I've picked them up and, WOW. The scoot these came off couldn't have made it far or even off the dealer lot. A win for me!


Now on to the bike front. As I write this I'm just over a week away from heading to Vegas to pick up the bike and bring it back for the season. The original plan was to go to Vegas in February , for the scooter run and have a bike to ride instead of renting a car like usual. Well, that plan got thrown out after the bills from the bucket list trip came in, $$$$. My work was good enough to allow me to change that week of vacation to single days, which I can use over the year, or even some for next week (like 3 days of them).

The biggest problem is, when my plane lands,  is that I have to go to the storage locker and pick up the battery for charging. The problem is that my flight lands at 8:10 pm and my storage locker closes up at 9 pm. To be honest I can't see me getting my luggage and rental car and being at the locker at 9 pm. Now you might ask yourself, why not take an earlier flight? Well, I have to go into work for Sign up, this is where I pick my work for the upcoming weeks. End of the day, I can't miss being there. The battery was getting cranky anyway in the cold, and I've got 2 years on it, and whatever the previous owner had on it. So new battery time. I could pick up one when I land in Vegas, still, I would have to get it Saturday morning, and hope that I don't have to take to much time topping it up. The cost is $156 USD at a battery supply shop for a Odyssey PC-680, which is AGM. Just in case you were wondering, the BWM dealer OEM battery is $202 for a sealed gel battery. I'll take the better, cheaper AGM anytime. But it did get me thinking on what the price would be for the battery here in Ontario, as I could put in in my luggage .


Surprise, surprise, this comes up,


Aircraft Spruce






$149 CND. It's cheaper and in Canadian funds. So I have to pay taxes and shipping, so it comes out to around the same. If the name Aircraft Spruce sounds familiar, it's because a lot of Toronto area scooterists have used the site for ETG guages, etc, for years and at a reasonable price. Since I know these guys, I order it on a Tuesday afternoon and get it delivered at my door Thursday at noon.  It' has a good date code on it, so I threw it on the charger, and a 1/2 hour later it's all charged up and repacked for the trip. I decided to ship it out ahead, so it will be waiting for me at the motel when I land. Since I'm going down to visit my Mom for a early mothers day (I'll be in Vegas for the real date) I dropped it off at USPS and it's on it's way.





Well, no guarantees the link below will work, so what the hell, and this is a test. Hopefully you can at least leave a message. Damn thing won't let me test it on Preview,

Talk to the Tross.




It's now a couple of days before I go and I'm into packing everything and cleaning the apt. As I've learned on past trips, nothing is better than coming home to a clean house and fresh bedding. The battery has arrived in Las Vegas and is at the motel waiting for me, That and my mom's coming up to stay at my place to visit friends while I'm away ;-)


Niagara Scooter Run 2015

May 15th - 17th, 2015


Well, Rich and Dave have pulled it off for another year, and here's the Facebook link for all the info:





Look at all those happy campers!!




But when you get there, it makes it all worthwhile!!

If we can get a weekend like this again.


You do have to make it there first!





Jeff Fish has yet again managed to get tons of firewood for this year, so remember to thank him!!! Same rules as always, pay at the gate, get your pass and set up your stuff!!!!



This is my pre trip post. It looks like everything has come together and in a couple of posts you'll get to see what I forgotten to pack. One of the big questions is will I make it back in time to go on Niagara?

Even I don't know the answer, it really depends on weather, what kind of stops I make and if there are any problems. Enjoy my upcoming posts!!


Cheers,
Tross


Upcoming trips

Ride back from Vegas May 8th - 20th
Niagara  May 15th - 17th
Back to Detroit weekender (gotta see the rest of the Henry Ford Museum
PVSC
Port Burwell Scooter Run
Fall ride down the East Coast to Key West.
Plus a few more things.





No comments:

Post a Comment