Translate

Thursday 14 May 2015

Rain, rain, stay away



Well, my relaxing bike matainance day is done, and I must get back on the road. As I wake up and look outside, it doesn't look too good. Heavy rain, but the weather app says it's going to stop by 8am. I hope they're right. I finish up yesterday's blog and do the 3 S's. Right on time, the rain lifts and things start to dry. That's good as I'll be chasing the storm today.

I head over to the BMW dealer to pick up my bike. One thing though, someone stole the covers for the tow hooks on the rental car, both the front and back, it sucks. For once I actually got the CDW (collision damage waiver). So when I drop off the car, I let him know. He says no problem, your covered. It's the best $15 I've spent on the trip. Bet ya, they are already on Kiji or eBay already.


One nice Police bike. I want it.





I hook up my trailer back up, and I head back to the motel to pack up the bike and checkout. I don't mind riding in the rain, but I hate loading the bike in the rain.

I'm on the road by 10am, not too bad as I had to wait for the dealership to open. It's also good, as I miss the rush hour traffic as well. The plan is to do at least 450 miles today and end up in Elk City, OK.

It's a tank full, to empty run, so 2 1/2 hours later I end up in Tucumcari, NM for lunch. The weather had been OK so far. From the mid 50°'s to the low 60°'s, sunny and cloudy. But at Tucumcari it looks like I've caught up to last nights storm. So, time to fill up and have some lunch. An hour later, I head out to head back east. It looks like the storm had moved on, lucky, so far.

One stop I have planned for, is a stop in Adrian, Tx. Its the midway point on Route 66.








I didn't stay long, as I only picked up a t shirt and took some pics. The tunes on the phone where getting a little stale, so a stop to set up the XM radio, a quick Gatorade, and some assorted nuts I keep on the bike for trips.



Plastic ties don't last forever. I broke off the side container in Vegas, so its nice to see it holding up, using the proper clamps.


I run straight through Amarillo, TX, surprisedly I don't stop at the "Big Texan". Its still too early for dinner, plus I still need to put some miles on, that and the weather is holding. I end up running the tank all the way down into reserve and 10 miles left on the countdown in reserve. I'm not worried though, because I'll be stopping in Shamrock, TX. I was here last year on my Route 66 drive, so I know what the town has to offer. Gas is cheap here,  $2.35 a gallon. I fill up the bike and have a latte at McD's. Hey, free WiFi is free WiFi. I need to book my motel for the night.
Elk city, OK, it is.

I'm back on the road for what turns out to be the hardest part of the day. Just outside of Shamrock, TX the fog drops down. It's bad in patches, and as long as you slow down a bit, it was ok. Then about 20 miles from the motel, the rain returns. To make it worse, I make a wrong turn due to all the construction around the motel. I end up back on the I-40, and the next exit is 5 miles down the road, in the rain :-( . Still I make it back to the motel and all is well.

Today's mileage  463 miles / 745 km

Totals. 1158 miles /  1863 km

Distance to Niagara scooter Run
1362 miles / 2191 km

No comments:

Post a Comment