Translate

Sunday 17 May 2015

Where should I go to next?

So I wake up, and head over to the window, and I'm wondering what I'm going it see. It looks like the rain stopped a few hours ago. It's grey and cloudy, but warm, 70°. Now I have to decide where to go. The Niagara scooter rally is 600 miles/965 km away. That's 9 hours driving time, plus breaks and the border. So Niagara's out. Cleveland is a option, but I don't know who's gone down to the WKRP rally in Cincinnati. Or I could go to the WKRP rally. But I end up deciding on heading to Detroit for a few days. I don't have to be back at work until Thursday, so I'll have some time to enjoy Detroit.

 Here's a pic of my just washed bike before the storm, which I forgot to include yesterday.



I have to say, the Holiday Inn does have the best overall free breakfast, and that lovely pancake making machine. I do the usual 3's and pack the bike. The nice thing is that I leave early, for me (8am).  But when I reach Indianapolis, IN, the rain begins, and with the lower in city speed limit, the windshield doesn't work as well. I get a wee bit wet, but 5 minutes later the rain stops.

The rain seems to be holding off. About a hour later, and the gas tank is down to 1/4,  I'm really feeling like a coffee. I see the Starbucks sign, and I'm off the Interstate. I fill up the bike and head down to Starbucks.


That really hits the spot. Time to book a room in/or (around) Detroit. This time it's the Clarion out by the airport. It's cheap, clean, and comes with a microwave, and fridge. The rain is still holding off, so I should get back on the bike and off to Detroit.

Saturday traffic, which there is none, makes the drive easy and enjoyable. Ft Wayne, IN is the next city I drive through, it's nice and quite. This is where I pass Hyw 30, or better known as "The Lincoln Highway". I've done parts of it, and maybe in a few years I'll use it as part of my next west coast adventure.

From here I'm off the Interstate and off to highway US 24. It looks like they just rebuild it, and upgraded this highway.  It's even better than most Interstates that I've traveled. That takes me over the state line and into Ohio, and onto Toledo, OH. Then I'm back on Interstate I-75. Which in Toledo, means one big construction site. Thank god I'm going through here on a Saturday. Also it's clearing up. I'm seeing some blue sky. The drive on I-75 is easy, but busy. Time to stop for a late lunch and fill up the bike. The GPS always routes me through Detroit's airport. This time there is a 747-400 taking off just as I pass under it. That was cool. Not so cool was misreading one of the airport signs and doing a tour of one of the terminal's. But I get to my motel and check in and unload the bike. Now I've got 2 days of blogs to catch up with.

Daily mileage 356 miles - 572 km

Total mileage 2314 miles - 3721 km


No comments:

Post a Comment