Translate

Monday 18 May 2015

Detroit, Detroit, and Detroit.

I'd just to like to thank the previous guest for locking the in room safe. Before calling the front desk, I'd thought I would try a few of the easy codes. One of the one's that I tried is 1234. Guess what, it popped open. Funny, but still annoying. So now I have a few days to relax and not drive somewhere, so, a vacation from a vacation ;-). With it being Sunday, The Henry Ford Museum is closed,  as well as, Hard Core Pawn. No problem, as I'll head over to the east side of Detroit. Lucky for me its "flower day" at the Eastern Market. It's a big thing down here.


 Finding parking wasn't easy, bit I got lucky.


Some of Detroit's finest, but where's RoboCop?


Must be good, a long line.


1000's of people, all having a good time, and a good mix of shops. I'll be picking up some kafta kebobs when I get home.


I've never seen a lottery truck before.


What says Detroit better than Bert's, those ribs looked really good. Same again, a really long line.


Just a nice view of Detroit from the market.
I also got a nice Americano. After looking around, its off to the Heidelburg project. This is where they took a block of abandoned houses and made a art project out of them. Unfortunately, some of the scummier members of society think it's fun to burn these homes down.




Is Detroit as bad as everyone says, probably. You see the urban decay, but its not everywhere. It is strange to see buildings just abandoned and decaying. From big office buildings, motels, stores, just about everything you can think of has been abandoned.

Now on to Grosse Pointe. There's just something about that shot of when John Cusack is driving into Grosse Pointe that always wanted to do, that same drive. If you have money, Grosse Pointe is where you live around Detroit. The really big houses/mansion's are on Lakeshore, which is what Jefferson ave turns in to.




Not quite the sunny day drive, like in the movie.


There's many of these lovely homes, one after another. Time for a coffee and into Grosse Pointe farms. A nice little small town feel. Even though the movie was filmed in California, you can see its pretty close to Grosse Pointe.

I decided to head back to the Eastern Market to grab some lunch, that great lobster Mac & Cheese. But the backup into the market started on the off ramp of I-94. So sorry, no Mac & Cheese for me :-(.


So, I'm off down the road to Ford's first plant. The next pic explains the history.




Urban decay, a huge abandoned plant.






These cars were all hand built at one station and took about 10 hours to assemble. Even early model T's were done this way at this plant.


Total loss oil lubrication. Which means once past the crank the oil went on the road. Must had been fun riding a early motorcycle down the street.



Early stators for the ignition system. All windings were done by female hands.



Lots of early ford history that I didn't know.



A really nice early Mustang.


After assembly, they drove around a test track, and if they kept running, they where loaded on the train for shipping.

A good day and I got most of the East Detroit places I wanted to see.


Today's mileage  80 miles - 128 km

Total mileage 2399 miles - 3849 km

No comments:

Post a Comment