Translate

Sunday 5 October 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 26.

Today's goals are to get out of San Francisco early,  listen to the Liverpool FC game on XM radio, and get to Reno. NV.

Well, I got up early, got the 3 S' s done, packed, loaded and checked out even earlier that I thought. I head over to the Golden Gate Bridge before the sun has even risen. Good for traffic, as there was next to none.

A great looking bridge and even at just after 6 am there are tourists about.

 Here's a piece of the cable span cable that had to be replaced a few years ago. It's got to be 2 1/2 to 3 feet thick.

The sun rises on a beautiful San Francisco morning.

I actually took a lot of video on my JVC action camera.  But without a computer there's no way for me to upload and edit it. I will do it when I get home, and I'll add it to the blog in a special addition.

Here's where I had to make a decision.  To head up highway 1 (PCH) a little more, or head over to Reno, NV. The problem with highway 1 is, once I'm on that there's no easy way to get over to Reno.  I literally left the decision till I came upon the ramp. I took Reno. I will be back to the west coast.  So I'm back around the bay and onto I-80.

No problems, but I'm glad I left early as I-80 is only 3 lanes, I can see traffic being bad later on. I get down to a half a tank, that and that I'm hungry, so time to stop and fill up first, and second, have breakfast.


A Denny's breakfast later, and not as good as the one in Niagara Falls, that started this trip. I'm off to the Donner Pass. This is the pass where you see trucks and cars getting stuck in winter (bad). I took lots of great video,  but until I get back,  you don't get to see any of it. The west side of the pass is easy,  so easy that when you come upon it, Donner Pass really suprises you.

 The funny part is, that's not my bike. It's another K1200lt.  It's way cleaner than mine.

 A bunch of bikes doing the pass. Mine is at the back.

 Panorama heaven.



I'll I can say is wow. If you've ever on I-80, get off and take the pass. It doesn't take that much time, but it's so worth it. I also took video here as well.





The bike is kind of sluggish here at 7000 ft. The fuel injection mixer just can't cope with the massive rise in altitude.  Nothing bad, just noticeable.  From here it's all downhill. Beautiful views and a nice relaxing drive, except for the wiggley groved part.

No problems crossing the border into Nevada.  The other way had a big accident.  Lucky for me, anyway off the ramp and there's the gas station.  Well might as well fill her up.

I check into the "Sands" and have a walk around.  I took these for Susan, she's a big Hunter Thompson fan.






I'd hang this up in my condo. 

I head back to the Sands and do a bit of gambling.  I lost more than I won, but got a free dinner out of it. Since I got up early, it was a early night.


Total mileage 5108 miles/ 8221 km


=====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment