Translate

Friday 3 October 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 24


After a great sleep, that's because,  once in a while, while traveling, you get that mattress/pellow combo that just works for you. That's what I got going for the next couple of nights, ya!

The view from my room this morning, not too bad.

I'm not in too much of a hurry, as the tour company doesn't start service till 9 am. I hit the Starbucks and grab a coffee, then head over to Union Square to pick up the double decker bus.

 They're building a new subway line, so no go for the trolleys.

 If you jump, you could grab on to the overhead wires.

 You'll see lots of pics of this.


 I never knew it was so easy.

 Nice Studebaker.


 It really is a hilly city.

 Can't get them all right.

 We need more of this in Toronto.  Cars don't park here period.  The rate,  60 cents a hour. Nice Bajaj though.

 Told you, you'd see it more.

The streets of San Francisco. A Quin Martin production.


 They run vintage PCC and Peter Witt Streetcars here. Hopefully I'll see the TTC one.

 The "Ghostbusters" building.  Couldn't see the gargoyles though. Just large eagle's.

 San Francisco's City hall.

 Somethings happening and I don't want to know.


 Nice mural. The school above, students did the mural.

 The Japanese gardens in Golden Gate park.


 They have a windmill as well.
 The park ends at the beach. This used to be an Amusement park.


 The cliff house. It falls off the cliff and they rebuild it again.
Where San Francisco Bay ends and the ocean  begins.






 I can smell hippies about.

 DM store, if I get time I'll check it out.

 Jimmys house,  how'd I guess that.

 There are lots of VW westfaila's around here, like every block.

 Pretty houses, expensive houses.

 Most of them are not victorian,  those fell down in the 1903 earthquake.  These are made to look like them.

 The lottery ticket says, maybe next week's draw.

 The entry to Chinatown.

 Told you it would be back.

 I always thought this was in the other end of the city, like around Heigh-Ashberry or however you spell it.


 I actually thought Alcatraz was bigger.

 Fishermans whalf.  I smell lunch.

It's one big ass sign.

 I love this place, but why, when you can get fresh seafood.

 Hisenberg is everywhere. Though, I do like "My Weiner" shirt.

I've been on WW2 subs before, but the Liberty ship behind interests me.



 Stuff out of the sub.




 It's bigger than I thought it would be.

 There's only two left out of over 6700.

 She still sails.


Comfy.


Maybe tomorrow.







This bird was not shy.

Tiny sub, they are even tinyer inside.

San Francisco selfie.

Great view.

This is the cargo hold. It's pretty big.


Dry dock and patches.





The lower hold, no going down there.








What's cool about this engine room is that it's fully working.







The bridge is actually a little underwhelming, and not that big.


The safe for those radio codes.

Cheapie armor, concrete, around the guns and bridge.


From the Liberty ship I went to the mechanical museum. A lot of really old games in there.

The Addams family is a shocking game!

The orgional home of sourdough.  Time for some lunch.

Time for some crab. I started with the cheese and crab fondue, and yes, it was as good as it looked.

Then a half order of crab,  sautéed in butter and garlic.  Mmmmmmmmm good.

Excellent views, Oakland is still a working port. San Francisco just does fishing and cruising ships.

Not really that much to show and tell for today.  The tour bus covers stuff I've already seen. Plus  I've still got to save some for tomorrow. Till then.


No miles on bike, it's resting till Saturday.

=====================================



No comments:

Post a Comment