Translate

Thursday 2 October 2014

The big one, or my west coast adventures. Day 23


Wow, what a day yesterday. I kind of get the feeling that it might be the best day of the trip. It was that good. But today is another day so I must be off.


A nice view with the sun rise.


My first encounter with this wonderful machine.  This needs to be in my kitchen, or someone I know.

So after having one of the better motel breakfasts, though, I have given up on the motel coffee, so I usually get that on the road, later on.

The view from the other side of my hotel.

No problem getting out of Monterey, as I was on the far side, unfortunately going into Santa Cruz, I got the double wammy of rush hour traffic and construction.  Now down here in California,  lane splitting isn't Ilegal. Though I won't do it by myself,  it's a little easier doing it while following behind a couple of bikes clearing the lane, if that's what you call it. It makes a difference, I got through the jam in half the time. But your wide awake afterwards.

I'm making good time, as highway 1 is a actual 4 lane highway between Monterey and Santa Cruz.  It also knocks off 40 miles, of around 150 miles I've got to do today.

But soon out of Santa Cruz, I see that sign of "No Services next 33 miles" which I've learned means, fun driving ahead. From the pics below, the beauty is back,  but not as challenging as yesterday to drive.





Surfer's cars parked.

They are taller than they look.

 I call these my Port Burwell to Sparta pics. This part of the PCH reminded me of that. So I stopped to take pics.




A lot sooner than I like I come into Half Moon Bay. I've been here before when I came for Lammyjammy all those years ago.
The two places to visit are "Alice's restaurant" which is about 20 miles away in the mountains and Cameron's Pub". I'll knock off Alice's first. It was a great ride on my gp,  and just as good on my beemer.  A half hour later I arrive. It is a car and bike mecca,  especially on weekends.  Not so much on a Wednesday.  Still, a few show up.

Alice's Restaurant



I ended up having a late breakfast/lunch. I call it that, as I had the oatmeal with fresh fruit.  The fresh part makes all the difference.  The one thing I did this time was buy a t-shirt.  I didn't last time and regretted it.

The one thing that I've bought too much of on this trip. Going to have to send another box home.


 Well I can't stay here for ever,  so I'm back on these amazing roads, back down to Half Moon.

At a couple of points you can see the Pscific Ocean on one side and San Francisco Bay on the other. After another 1/2 hour amazing drive down I stop at Cameron's Pub.


Here's a pic of my Lammy at Cameron's Pub a few years ago. A lot more foggyier and cool. But also a lot more greener. The drought shows.


 The famous smoking bus, still being put to smoking heaven use.


It really smells like the smoking bus.


Cellular phone booth, what a good idea.

This poor cab has seen better days.

I would have stayed longer, but they were showing the Arsenal game instead of the Liverpool Champions League game, so I bailed. It is a good pub to hang out in, and you can even stay overnight.

Cameron's Pub & Inn

So from here the next stop is San Francisco.  The only thing I don't know is where it starts.  Lucky for me I've still got a few miles to go.




Just outside of Pacifica,  San Francisco more or less starts. Since I've done highway 1 from here to the Golden Gate Bridge (plus I know it's all city driving) I take the I-280 ramp into downtown San Francisco and to my hotel.  It's only 1:30 pm, so lucky for me traffic is good and I get into town fast and my hotel.

San Francisco, is the one place I never get any hotel deals. There's a huge convention in town this time. I did get a deal on parking, the hotel only charges 1/2 price for bikes, yea! $27.00. The room is twice as much as I paid for in LA. But that's what vacations are for.

 Unloaded and ready to be parked for a few days. The roads in San Fran remind me of Boston,  bad. It is however, the perfect city of a scooter, (except 2 strokes with big exhausts, ie: my gp.) I'd love to have my MP3 here right now.

 The location of my hotel is shopping heaven to most women.But nothing to me. I can't pack all that shopping on the bike, though I could ship it back .... I did go into the Ben Sherman store. Sorry Dave,  no cologne, but they suggested their Website.

 I will ride this beast, it's $6 one way, just in case you were wondering.

 The perfect men's store, liquor, cigars, and magazines.

 For after you get off the cable car.

 Up, up, the cable car goes.


Gotta respect that quote, can you guess what I got for dinner. Back to the hotel and bed. Good night folks.


Total mileage 4886 miles / 7863 km


=====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment