Translate

Thursday 10 July 2014

Hurricane Arthur, the east coast trip and Lammyjammy, part 5

Well, it's the start to another day, and though I feel I've been away forever, it's only been 4 days. It's nice to have a hot shower and feel normal again. Also next to the motel there's a Starbucks, yea! It's something I've not had since Friday. I do like Starbucks, but I'm not going to go out of my way for it.

Nice to know the bike is totally safe.


As I'm getting ready to leave, I can't find my GPS. I look everywhere. Then I remember that I might have left it on the check-in counter last night. So I go down stairs and see if they have it. Lucky me it's on the desk. So if your ever in Halifax, stay at Future Inns, they do treat you right.

So from here it's off to downtown. This place kind of reminds me of Pittsburgh, hilly and roads that curve all over the place. I eventually make it to downtown/the harbor. The first place I pass is the Canadian Navy's Atlantic Fleet. It's not hard to miss, the letters have to be 5 feet high. I'm actually surprised by all the ships in port, I didn't think we had that many ships ;-).

Now down to downtown/old town Halifax. A really nice city, with the city on a hill, it reminds me of San Francisco, it's that kind of hilly. As per usual, I just wish I had more time to explore these great cities, but for this trip it just not to be. As Randy asked "why didn't you go to magnetic hill", I just don't have the time, and I have to pick and choose.

As I get out of Halifax the fog lifts and the temps rise, that is sometimes, once in a while you hit a cold blast, it is the Atlantic ocean just letting you know it's still there. As I'm going down the highway I see a sign for " Oak Island" , then it dawns on me. It's the oak island where something is buried, personally I think it was pirate's. Over the years I've read books on the place with the last being a Clive Cussler novel. So off the highway I go down to highway 3. I wish I'd done it sooner. What a great road, along the coast. Too soon the sigh for oak island comes up.



Damn, the tours are only on weekends :-(( Man, I'm disappointed. Well I might as well he'd down the road and see what I can see.





I'm not the only one at the causeway. But they went over and were told to leave. So the mystery of oak island will have to wait for later.

 From here I stay on highway 3 as it is a great ride. One of the places that stood out was Mahone Bay. It really is the most picture perfect town I've ever driven through. Here's a pic that I downloaded as I didn't take any pics.

It was during the day when I drove through.

From here it's along highway 3 to Luenburg and the Bluenose. Its the scooner on our dime, so i should make time to see her and it's also a good time for lunch.


The Bluenose is down that way


I known the Lobster Mac & Cheese looks good, it was ok. But to be honest the Mac & cheese I had at the diner last Friday was way better and way cheaper. Also thanks to the RCMP for the parking ticket. $10.

From here it's back to highway 103. I pass Liverpool, I almost wanted to stop. But no Anfield here. A nice drive to Yarmouth, but nothing outstanding. The big semi final has started just as I got into town. Just as I reach the motel, Germany scores. So I check in, unload and quickly grab some Toco Smell and KFC across the street. I'm back to my room to enjoy the game. I turn it on and its 5-0. It truly one of the few times I've been truly shocked. I can't sat I've ever seen it before in such a huge game. I enjoy dinner and change my ferry reservation to tomorrow. Its nice they didn't charge me anything extra. Off to bed as I've got to get up rather early for the ferry.


Day 5
Daily 212 miles/341km
Total 1562 miles/2515km

==========================================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment