Translate

Sunday 6 July 2014

Hurricane Arthur, the east coast ride, and Lammyjammy, Part 2

Montreal to Quebec City.





So after a ok sleep with some strange dreams,  I pack up and head out. Route 40 at the top of Montreal isn't great at the best of times, but I get lucky and it's ok. Being early on a Saturday morning helps too. Funny how this part of Montreal hasn't really changed all these years, it's still is more or less the same. But Toronto has changed, and some of that not for the better. As I get older I like that, but it's for you to make up your mind about that, whether it's good or bad.   So now I'm out of Montreal and I'm surprised on how fast it turns into farmland, unlike the west end of Montreal and burbs that doesn't end till your over the other side of Route 30. Nice.

So I head down to route 138, which goes along the North side of the river. I posted on Facebook last week, on which side I should take. I was jonesing for the south side when Dominic from Montreal recommended the north shore due to a Tiki Bar/Motel that I should check out. That sold me, so north shore it is.

Anyway back to the ride. When I get down to route 138, they are running the "Tour de Quebec" or something like that. Of course it's in a eastbound direction, my way. I waited a few minutes hopefully wishing it would end. But it was not to be.




So back up I go to Route 40. The plan is that I'll go to the town with a ferry and cross over the river and do the south shore instead. 

So after about 20 minutes on route 40,  I figure I've beaten the tour and head back down to 138. Success, not a bicycle in sight. Now time for some Timmie's. The menu in Quebec is a little different. More choice and different items. I end up going for the oatmeal with fruit and the Dark roast coffee.

Tell me doesn't that oatmeal look good, for oatmeal anyway.

They do the same thing to Montreal. It's 8 cents a litre cheaper outside the city.
Just like Toronto.


Damn the oatmeal was good, better than Starbucks, and I like the Dark roast coffee better than the regular stuff. Still no bicycles in sight, good. So back on to Route 138. It's just a nice road to travel, nothing to special, you get glimpses of the St Lawrence and the ships going up and down the water way. I did like Louiseville as it was a great looking town with lots of stuff happening. I just wished I had more time to stay there.

I figured that I'd find the Tiki hotel when I got to Trois-Rivieres , but what do I find right on Route 138. I figure this has got to be the place.




This place is older than me!




I did have a drink there to relax and explore the bar and motel. I can totally understand why the Montreal guys would make night of it here and if you have too much to drink, there's a motel attached, perfection :-)). As I'm getting ready to leave those damn bicycles catch up! But they turn up the street just across from the Tiki bar, what luck.

 Now while I was just leaving the old part of Trois-Rivieres,  I make a right turn. About a 1/2 block down a motorcycle accident just happened. I didn't see anything but looked like a lady pulled out of a store and didn't see the bike. It just goes to show you to stay frosty all of the time. He was a T-shirt and jeans guy. Hopefully he wasn't hurt to bad, or so I hope.


From Trois-Rivieres the road is more along the river and the views are really nice. The one rest stop I stop in is the only one without a clear view to the river.
See that little blue patch? That's the river.
What can you do?

I met some nice bikers who filled me in on the history of the road, ie: it's the oldest road in Canada. Now I know what those sign markers on the highway meant.

This is one major biker ride route. I've seen 100's of bikes and more Can-Am's then I've ever see before. It could be because they make them here ;-)  Well I finally made it to Quebec City. The question is now where to stay. There's a big festival in town and rooms are rather expensive. I've got the tent, but I'd rather sleep in a bed. 

Booking.com also covers student residences for cheap. As you've now guessed, I'm going back to school, Laval University. Nothing fancy but better than my tent and for not much more. Thank god I brought ear plugs, there's still some students here. Time for bed.
Day 2
Daily mileage 201 miles/323km
Total Mileage. 584 miles/940 km

==========================================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment