Translate

Monday 7 July 2014

Hurricane Arthur, the east coast and Lammyjammy. Part 3



Well,  that room was hot last night. I only got around 5 hours of sleep. But what can you do. Anyway I got up early and on the road at 6 am.

Almost packed up.


I cross over the last bridge over the St. Lawrence, it's the old one with the railroad tracks that run beside you, old school style. So from here on, it will be south shore to Riviere du Loup on Route 132, or the road along the river.

It is one beautiful city.


After having got that Quebec city shot, I head on Route 20 for a few exits to get out of the city then back down to the 132. I hit a rest stop to put on my sweater, its still a little chilly, but you gotta love the place.



I get some riding in, nothing special, but I did come across a car my dad had, when I was really young.

Back in the day where $5 filled up the Dodge.

It was in nice shape as well. Lucky for me, also in the town was a McD's, and I'm hungry as the only thing that I've had was a Starbucks doubleshot, good to get you going, but not for breakfast. A Latte, sausage Mcmuffin and hash brown's hit the spot.

After leaving a sunny McD's, and not 15 minutes down the road it starts to rain. So I go and dig out the full face. I find that the double sided tape has come off the Scala G4. So I've got a choice to make, full face, no tunes, or 3/4 lid with tunes. I go with tunes and by this time the rain has let up.

The river is stunning to ride along.


So back on the road and I come across this place.


A motorcycle Museum, and it's open at 9am on a Sunday, go figure. Anyway here's some pics of the collection:







Much smaller than I'd thought it would be.


Now I know where Kitt got his dashboard from.

I liked the boxed bikes, what a great idea.


Yours for only $119

$1.50, more in my price range.
I picked up a few, if you told me I'd be buying vespa/lambretta postcards on this road I would have thought you nuts.
Cute, but not $350 cute.
Admission is $8 to get in, so why not. That's why I love just riding, you never know what you'll find.

Nothing else to  report from here to Riviere du Loup. I had lunch at McD's. What I didn't know is that I shifted the hitch backing the bike into a parking spot. Not a big thing as there's a Crappy Tire across the street. All I need is a hitch ball wrench to loosen the nut and straighten it out. Actually I was surprised on how much it affected the handling of the bike just going across the street. Typical Crappy Tire, 50 hitch balls in stock but not one wrench and a stupid kid who couldn't care less. Anyway by moving the trailer I got it straightened out. I can always hit a Wallymart down the road.

Well the rains been off and on all day. From Riviere du Loup its 3 highway car hours to bed, which means a few extra hours for the bike.

They are slowly building the Trans Canada highway to 4 lanes in Quebec. But in typical Quebec style, they are doing from that border of New Brunswick and going up instead of the other way around. They've got a few years to go yet. Anyway the rain starts again, but rather heavier, but I spot a Wallymart, so I'm off the Hyw.

Of course they have the wrench, and I pick up a few supplies as well. I come out and the rains gone.


                             All straight

Kind of the same thing that's been happening all day, rain off, then on. Finally I make it to the border of New Brunswick.


First time visitor

Goodbye Quebec, love the province, and the roads are getting better.
Someone's having fun

Now as I get ready to leave I spot the Lancaster across the street.


The funny thing is that if I didn't stop for border pics, I would never had seen the plane. I saw a story on CBC on this plane a few months ago. The locals are trying to save it before it falls apart. I just wish they were open as I would have made a donation. Well I can still do that when I get home. Here's some more pics and history of the plane:





Well I must get back on the road as I've lost an hour due to the time zone change, great if your heading west, bad if your going east. Not to worry as I'll get it back in a couple of days anyway. The other nice thing is that the speed limit is 110kmph. Add 10 on top and it's a 120 kmph kind of day.

As I'm driving I see a sign for a potato museum. That one I pass, though I wonder if they have a pic of the potato winner in their museum from PVSC.



Well I'll never know. The next one though does make me pull off the highway. It's for the world's longest covered bridge. Here's some pics:



Now while I'm sitting down and having a Gatorade, I notice that I have no cell service. I go over to the local store to get a snack and I'm greeted by this lovely sign.


No power. Part of the aftermath of the hurricane. So back on the bike, and of course the rain has started again. Almost like it was following me. I also notice all the broken tree limbs and toppled trees at the side of the highway. They also have Moose gates along the highway fencing so the moose can get out and also tunnels under the highway. I didn't see one moose, dead or alive :-( .

Anyway I'm down to 1/8 of a tank of gas so time to fill up. I pass one station and decide to hit the next one. Guess what, no power. So back I go one exit and fill up. Cause with the hurricane it might be spotty and better to be safe than sorry. Gonna be going by the 1/2 tank rule now, that is fill up at a 1/2 tank so I don't get stuck.

75 km later I make it to Fredericton and to my bed for the night. Can you guess? No power! Half of the city is still out. Since I have my camping crap,  I've got that covered. Honestly I'm happy to have a bed tonight as I'm tired, its been a long day. After dealing with the ice storm and that power outage, this one in July is nothing. Time to catch up on the blog and watch something on the tablet.

Day 3
Daily Mileage. 393 miles/632km
Totals. 977 miles/1572km

==========================================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment