Translate

Monday 7 July 2014

Hurricane Arthur, the east coast and Lammyjammy Part 4

Well I wake up after having a great sleep, really needed it. But the power is still out. I turn the news on (my phone), and find out they got hit really bad here. No hot water, and I'm not into cold showers so I do the facecloth bath. It takes longer, but a lot warmer. I pack up, check out and hit the road. I pass CFB Gagetown. I know a lot of people who have gone there over the years. Also going the other way on the highway was a leopard tank on the back of a flatbed. Something you don't see everyday, not in Canada anyway. Those poor things are as old as me, but in better shape.

I'm down to a half a tank, so time to fill up. I get off the highway and hope. The lights are on at the station, so they have power. I also check out the local greasy spoon, it looks good and I just want a proper breakfast. While checking out the spoon i notice a group of bikes and one scooter that all have Ontario plates. Where are they all from, Toronto of course! Anyway I order breakfast and get some coffee in me, yea! I talk to a local who tells me power is still out and this is the only place open. They only got their power back at 7 am.
Some morning's it's just what you need.


Full and ready to go!


From here it's going to be a straight run to Confederation bridge, which is still 2 hours away (200km). That's the one thing good about the east coast, not much traffic. A good drive and as you get closer to the water you can really smell it, nice. Before hitting the bridge I stopped for a few pics. 


Way easier to ride than it looks, or Alby got lucky.


Damn, this is one long bridge, well time to mount up and hit the bridge. You pay when you leave, so no toll. I end up getting a gap, so no one in front of me, and no one behind. The speed limit is 80 kmph, there was absolutely no wind crossing, all 13 km of it. Also your high up, but you can't really tell how much, so no worries there either. 

Actually it's the sign when I was leaving. Don't tell anyone.


Once on the island I notice a huge backlog going the other way to the bridge, like kms long. Now I'm wondering what I got my self into. When I fill up at a gas station a I ask what's up. He let's me know it's a once a year festival and not to worry. 

Haven't had this since I was a kid. Good for riding as you can break off a piece while riding. Lasts a long time.


I end up stopping at Cows for some ice cream and a factory tour.

Damn good ice cream.


Great tour, great free samples and great ice cream. Now on to the home of Confederation. Here's some pics.

The home of Confederation is the building behind the trees. Personally, I'd thought it would be bigger ;-)

Some other building that looks old and important.

Anyway lunch and a quick walk around the downtown, and I'm off to catch the ferry back at the other end of the island. Not a lot of traffic on the east end of the island as well, nice. PEI is a lot hillier than I thought it would be. Here's a nice pic I took on the way to the ferry.



I made it to the ferry with about 20 minutes to spare. The nice thing about riding a motorcycle is you get put to the front of the line.

Makes my bike look small.

The bad part of owning a motorcycle is you get the pleasure of strapping your own bike down :-(

Ferries Docking, trust me ;-)

All strapped down.

So now its time to just to relax and let someone else do the driving. 


What, no "Pacific Princess"

Good bye PEI

I'm learning, ferries are windy!

Getting close to Nova Scotia

I didn't hear the go to your car announcement on deck, so I just managed to get the bike unstrapped and started when it was my turn. After getting off the ferry. I hit the nearest Timmie's to have a coffee. 

On the highway for another 2 hours and I'm in Halifax and bed for the night. I knew I was getting close to the Ocean, the temp dropped  from 70 degrees to 60 in the matter of a few miles. Looking forward to a hot shower. 

Day 4
Today: 373 miles/600km
Total: 1350miles/2173km

==========================================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment