Translate

Sunday 15 September 2019

Do you know the way to San Jose?




Day 12



As usual I wake up early, but today there's a Liverpool game on. Since I'm on the west coast, and 

it's the early game of the day, it's a 4:30 am start. So as usual, the 3 S's get done, and the blog gets 

updated. Then I've got time to enjoy the game. Which works out great as I can't hit the road anyway

till sunrise.



                                                  Full moon over Reno, I do love this view.


Well, I could, but I try not to, as you tend to get deer, moose etc on the highways. So 

unless I really need to, I stick to daytime riding. Liverpool go a goal down, but claw their way back.






                                          I should have known better, this motel coffee bites.


Since I didn't fill up the bike, last night, like I should have. I go down to the gas station to fill up 

during half time. Liverpool win, and stay top of the league, Yeh!!!!  Today I have to go over the 

Sierra Nevada mountains, through and over the Donner pass. The weather forecast is for the 

temperatures to be at 36 degrees when I go through. I could wait till 9 am, when they go up into the 

50's, but the earlier I get through San Francisco, the better. So, on go most of my layers that I've 

brought, and my cold jacket is on as well.



                           
                                                                        Time to go!


I'm off, and it's just after 7 am and sunrise, and surprisingly, I've actually left more or less on time.

The nice part about leaving this early, is traffic isn't busy. So up and over the passes I go. It did drop

down to 38 degrees, or for you metric people, 3 degrees Celsius. Actually thinking back, I didn't even

use my heated grips or seat. So I got the layering just right. You know your done with the mountains 

when the landscape changes, and the temperatures rise. Well, it's a good time for a coffee, and some

thing to eat. Also the temperature outside has risen to 80 degrees. So I've got to get rid of some of

the layers that kept me warm. So here's me stripping down in the Starbucks parking lot.




                                          Long-johns, thermal top, and something blue.


It felt good, though. Getting all those layers off. Anyway, into Starbucks for a well deserved coffee,

and some egg bites. Relaxing, and I'm good to go conquer San Francisco.


Now, back on the bike, and fight traffic down and through San Francisco. A few delays, due

to accidents, but nothing too bad. Still it was better than the QEW between Toronto and Burlington  

on a Saturday afternoon. There was the usual delay getting over the Oakland Bay bridge, even a guy 

from Toronto knows about it. Slowly, but steady, I get over the Bay bridge and through San 

Francisco. I thought about spending a few days in San Francisco, but I've been there more than a few

times, and LA is where I'd rather spend a few days, if I have the choice. Traffic through San 

Francisco is busy, but moving, and I'm soon down to Daly City and California Highway 1, the 

Pacific coast highway. You know when you are getting closer, the temperatures drop. It's now down

to the 65 degree range, so back on goes another layer. Since I'm on highway 1, the max speed is 55

mph. So adding a sweater will do. Since it's a Saturday, lots of people are here going to the beach, 

even though it's foggy and rather cold. Kind of like Toronto on a summers day.





The fog will lift, I just don't don't know when. I can kind of 

see the ocean, sometimes, so I continue on and head down to Half Moon bay. I hit Mc'd's for a light 

lunch and to Cameron's Pub. One of the stops years ago at Lammyjammy, was Cameron's pub. A 

quirky and interesting place. Well little did I know they sold off a big chunk of the property and 

added a Best Western hotel. Since I couldn't find parking, I headed off (so sad).





                                              Well, at least you can kind of see the ocean.





I continue heading south, hoping for the fog to lift. I've done this ride before, so I know how 

beautiful it can be. I'm amazed on how much the fog hides everything.  So just south of 

Pescadero, the fog lifts, finally giving me the vista's I've ridden so far for. The rest of the ride down

To Santa Cruz was great.








                   This literally is the fog bank that I'd been driving in for hours, goodbye!!!!!!





                                                                        Finally vista's





 I went into Santa Cruz, only, that it's Saturday, and the place is a absolute 

zoo. No parking to be found. So no pier for me. This is about as far as I'll be going on  the PCH 

today. I wanted to get a room in either Santa Cruz or Monterey for the night, but weekend rates in 

 the seaside towns were just a little to high for me. So it's off the San Jose it is for me. So, yes, I

now know  the way to San Jose.



 Tomorrow, it's only a hour drive to Monterey, where I'll join back up with the Pacific Coast Hyw.

I check in to my room, down to the gas station to fill up, and to Safeway to get some supplies and 

some dinner (roast chicken and Chinese rice). Time to relax, I watched Dark Phoenix, which was 

a little better than the reviews said, and a early sleep.



Daily mileage.  352 miles or 566 km

Total for trip.  4032 miles or 6488 km

Sorry for the delay, I had some problems with google backing up my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment