Translate

Friday 6 September 2019

Miles, miles, miles



Day 3 September 5th, 2019



I finished yesterdays blog, packed up and loaded up the bike. Thanks to the nice guy for the wipe

down towels for all the morning dew.




Finally a sunny day, though it's a rather chilly 55 degrees out. The aim today is to put some miles on 

the bike, and to finally start to enjoy my vacation, by actually seeing things. On a side note, there's a 

huge Harley Davidson dealer next door. No bikes parked outside waiting for service, and that's a

good thing. 




I make it a habit to fill up the bike the night before, so I can hit the road. It's 8 am and time to go.

Traffic is ok, which means it's way better than a rush hour in Toronto. So for the next 2 hours I ride

through the rolling hills of Wisconsin. It's just different enough to make it interesting. You do know

you are in Wisconsin, there are signs for cheese everywhere, 100 different types of cheese this exit,

etc. Its kind of funny, and stereotypical of what  you think Wisconsin is.  So after 2 hours riding,

I stop for gas and find a Starbucks for a coffee. I happen to stop in La Crosse, WI. It also happens 

to be where I planned to stop for the night if I took the SS Badger. It also next to the

Mississippi river, which marks the gateway to the west. The temperature is starting to warm up, so

the first

layer comes off. I actually didn't check the weather, on the way to where I'm going,  just the local

weather for the morning when I left.




   

 My first stop is still 1 1/2 hours away, and for me is kind of the start of the vacation, well the part 

where I'm actually stopping for things to enjoy. So back on the road and across the Mississippi river.

It's a nice crossing, and into the new to me state of Minnesota. After crossing the river you head north

along side the river, finally turning west. Now into the land of the corn fields. Miles after mile of corn

fields. There's also lots of construction and one lane interstate, but with traffic being light, it only 

slowed me down a bit. It's coming up to 1 pm and my first stop is finally here.




                  I find it funny the the selfie mode on my camera actually took it backwards.




Time to enjoy the world of Spam 






There are actually no exhibits to

eat, I tried. I was a little

disappointed

that there were no free samples.















 This is what Spam means to a lot of people my

age. Monty Python and Spam, Spam, Spam,

Spam..............

nnnn







It was really hard walking away from these, but I can get them online.

Just in case you need to know where the Spam museum is.




I spent a 1/2 hour in the Spam Museum. You know what, it was good. It wasn't as big as I thought, 

but it was free and worth the stop. Plus the bathrooms were clean!! So if your in the neighborhood,

stop by.  Actually it was really hard not buying something in the gift shop. But the bike takes care of

that, so unless I really want it, I don't get it. Though I was really wondering what the Spam car air

fresher smelt like. I've got enough gas to make it to the next stop, which is about an hour away.





I drop by to visit the jolly green giant. It's just off the highway and kind of cool. Though I really

didn't want to go to the museum. I also put $10 in the tank to keep going. It's also really warmed

up, as I didn't check the weather forecast, I had no idea it would be going up to 80 degrees. Not a

bad thing is it though. So another layer comes off.



I bet your wondering on how I'm finding these fun attractions. Here's the site that I used on

researching for this trip:  RoadsideAmerica.com .  A great site and it goes state to state to make

it easier.



My next stop is the Tri-state marker. On my bucket list is to hit the 4 corners marker in the

Southwest. But it won't happen this trip.


One day I shall see you!


So Tri-state marker will have to do. So a hour and a half later I arrive. It really is in the middle of


nowhere. If you haven't guessed, corn fields.






It's kind of cool and it gives me a break from riding. So it's the marker for Minnesota, Iowa, and

South Dakota.

So today I've ridden in 4 states. Actually it's not a personal record, that would be driving through the

New England states (5).  It's still cool though.



I just happen to glaze down at the trip meter, and I'm almost at 1000 miles for the trip, yea!!!!!



It's 4:30 pm, so time to head into Sioux falls, SD and book a room. I hit up a local chain and get

some deep fried Wisconsin cheese curds. They were good. I end up booking tonight accommodation

at the Red Roof Inn. I check in, unload, then head over to Wallymart to stock up on supplies and

fill up the bike with gas. I'm actually not to far off my timeline that I planned. But I've learned to take

it one day at a time. I'm back at the motel and updating the blog as I'm finally getting back into my

motorcycle riding grove. It also warmed up to 92 degrees in Sioux Falls when I was running around.

With the last few days being on the cool side I was surprised the heat found me so quickly, Summers

back!


Today's Mileage 463 miles or 745 km

Total so far 1019 miles or 1639 km


Good night.




No comments:

Post a Comment